Dyno Hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tombo 707

I am looking at getting a front wheel with a dyno hub fitted and would like some feedback on the pros and cons. Having a bar bag fitted there is no were to fit a front battery light.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Tombo 707 said:
I am looking at getting a front wheel with a dyno hub fitted and would like some feedback on the pros and cons. Having a bar bag fitted there is no were to fit a front battery light.

Cant think of any cons. The drag is imperceptable - the equivalent of a climb of five or six feet over a mile.

The benefits - 'free energy'. I fitted a hub dynamo to a new bike and was very impressed with the light generated by the LED lamp that I purchased to go with the dynamo.

OP
OP
T

Tombo 707

Is it a dynamo or a hub you have. There should be a battery light on the market the fits on your front folk wre a dynamo light goes.

vernon

Tombo 707 said:
Is it a dynamo or a hub you have. There should be a battery light on the market the fits on your front folk wre a dynamo light goes.

Dynohub. I also have a couple of bottom bracket dynamos fitted to my other bikes. They are no longer made though.

I think that there might be difficulties in making the bracket/mount robust enough to cope with the pounding that the torch will recieve when cantilevered off a fork mounting point. Halogen and LED lamps have low mass and do not place much of a strain on the mounting points.

asterix

Comrade Member
When my new bike arrives this month it will be fitted with a Schmidt SON dynamo hub, Lumotec IQ Cyo LED front light (brake bolt mounted) and on the rear a Seculite plus with standlight (it'll have mudguards).

..and if that ain't the business, I don't know is.

vernon

Tombo 707 said:
Ive seen this one at Spa Cycles and it looks the dog's balls. Are they bright.

Yep. I've got one fitted to my bike it beats anything that I've had on the halogen bulb front.

asterix

Comrade Member
It claims 60 lux. If you want comparisons, there is a thorough bit of testing on the YACF forum here.

yello

I have Shimano dynohub and Cyo combination. The light is phenomenal - I honestly didn't think a dyno light could be so bright. And it's all good, broad spread lighting. There have even been times were I thought there was a car coming up behind me! And, at first, I was flashed by on-coming traffic because the light was so bright.

Must admit thought, and this could be a false perception, I think there is more drag than on my previous light (a Lumotech Oval Plus).

My reason for switching to dynamo lights (around 3 years ago) was that I wanted 'fit and forget' and not to worry about batteries etc.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
yello said:
Must admit thought, and this could be a false perception, I think there is more drag than on my previous light (a Lumotech Oval Plus).
There will be more drag.
A Lumotec Oval will use 3W, the Cyo will use 6W, and with a hub efficiency of 60% that means you've got to do 10W more work to do the same speed (or do 29.4 kph instead of 30).

yello

andrew_s said:
(or do 29.4 kph instead of 30).

Blimey! That's bugger all then! I'm surprised my legs are so sensitive!

But thanks for the info. It's good to know I'm not being a wuss!!

willem

Über Member
This, I think, is nonsense. The Cyo is 6 volt, not 6 watts. A Son does not even produce 6 watts at 6 volt, but only something a bit over 3 watt. If anything, the Cyo probably takes less than 3 watt, but I have not seen measurements.
Willem

yello

And here was me thinking I wasn't a wuss! Oh well.... ;)

Willem, I know nothing of the numbers (not really interested in truth) but the Cyo certainly feels to result in more drag.

Top Bottom