E-Bike advice gratefully received.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, a good friend of mine and my wife, an 81 year old widower, who saw active service with the Paras in Aden in the 1960's, participated in triathlons in his late 50's, and hung his road/tri wheels up some years ago, has asked me about e-bikes.

He has now stopped driving, mainly due to eyesight (no Cummings jokes please :okay:) but is still physically active, walking everyday, and has decided to look into buying an e-bike, for both regular exercise alongside his walking, and to pick up his shopping (he is a very independent guy, and wants to remain so for as long as possible).

Now, unfortunately, despite a stable of bikes, what I don't have any experience of is e-bikes.

His requirements/parameters are:

Budget £900 to £1,200, but may go a little higher if required (dangerous words).

Probably best to look at hybrid type/flat bar etc., with mudguards (or, at least ability to fit) and same for panniers.

Main route would be combination of B-roads, country lanes, tarmac & gravel cycle paths. Couple of relatively tough hills for his age (circa half a mile x c6% average), but he wants a challenge.

Thoughts / recommendations, would be very much appreciated. Between us, let's get this old soldier back in the saddle :bravo::okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
Do you think he can cock his leg over a standard blokes bike?

If not he will be opting for a step through ebike. There are quite a few about

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Ebikes are heavy, so the rider wants to be sure he's strong enough to balance the bike while mounting it.

The budget puts him firmly in budget territory.

A Halfords hub drive Carerra is as good as any, and he could handle the bike in the shop to make sure he could manage it.

Wider choice available from Woosh, but they are online only.

Worth giving them a ring - they are known to be helpful.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/

Top Bottom