e-bike with a hidden battery.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

josgard

Regular
I'm looking for an unisex or step thru e-bike with a hidden battery. finding it frustrating at the massive prices I'm seeing. reason-- because it has to left outside for work shifts that can last 7 hours to 12 hours at a time. I have been looking at Cycle world, evans etc. anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
On most e-Bikes the battery is removable.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Exactly. For a commute, you want to recharge it whilst you are at work. Orbea have release one with a non removable battery, but that is aimed more at the leisure market, it gives a small assist but the bike isn’t much heavier than normal.. There is a thread on here about it somewhere.

Search G-Tech (I think) they do some of the more reasonably priced “commuter” models.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Reading between the lines, I think the issue here is that you don't want to leave an obviously expensive machine unattended out of sight whilst at work, as it's like hitting the jackpot to a thief. Why is an e-bike even necessary in the first place? Is the commute some silly mega-long distance?

OP
OP
josgard

josgard

Regular
skipdiver John...My son had his leg amputated from the knee down couple of months ago and finds still finds it hard to walk around on his new prosthesis . getting to work is getting harder for him as on public transport. a friends grandfather has one and gave my son a go on it. he said it was so much easier to get about while he was riding it. that's why I asked this question so it's not a silly thing or un-necessary at this point.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I understand now. In fact I'm somewhat surprised (and impressed) he can ride a bike of any description!

skipdiver John...My son had his leg amputated from the knee down couple of months ago and finds still finds it hard to walk around on his new prosthesis . getting to work is getting harder for him as on public transport. a friends grandfather has one and gave my son a go on it. he said it was so much easier to get about while he was riding it. that's why I asked this question so it's not a silly thing or un-necessary at this point.
I'm sorry you even had to defend your (or your son's) choice here. One of the things I love about E-bikes (th best thing about them, IMHO), is how they allow people to keep riding when nature has said no.

I'm sorry I don't have much practical to offer, but if theft is a concern then as well as removing the battery, a dozen (or probably less) U/D locks would be daunting.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello. It always amazes me when people on CC ask members why an e-bike is needed and seem to try to make people feel guilty if they decide to get one. The fact is, it is only your busines as to why or if you want one and no one elses. It is your money you are spending after all.

The Orbea gain might be one to look at. I don't know what your price range is, but it might be worth a look. Good luck in finding the right one.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/new-orbea-gain-e-bike-doesnt-look-like-e-bike-348786

PS. The pedelecs forum might also be a good place for you to visit. They will have lots of useful advice and some retailers there can also help. It is a nice friendly forum and you can ask as many questions as you like.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Locally to you, the Ebike Store in Framwellgate Moor, Durham City, keeps a good range of ebikes.

You've probably already seen pretty much all that's on offer.

Batteries are big and lumpy, so at best they only be disguised/faired in.

Of the £1,000-ish Chinese bikes, Oxygen are better than some.

The other consideration is parking the bike - any bike - at work.

Only you can weigh up the risk there.

https://www.the-ebikestore.co.uk/

http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/

tommaguzzi

Über Member
there is indeed an e-bike store on framwellgate moor in durham. i noticed it the other day when i rode past it on my way to get a hot pork pie from taylors butchers. :-)
but why does the op's son have a problem with removing the battery? they are made easy to remove for charging off bike. i always take mine off and put in my kit bag if i'm going to be leaving the bike locked up in what i would consider a dodgy area.
he might be able to charge it while at work too. for the win win situation.

Top Bottom