E-bikes and fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dolorous Edd

If it were me, I would buy one if I thought it would result in me spending more time active and outdoors. All other considerations would come a distant second.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
must admit to quite enjoying challenging myself and am finding it very difficult to accept the natural limitations of an ageing body

What will stop you challenging yourself on the e-bike and facing the same issue as on your current bike?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
That's a shame but as long as the e-bike is helping you get out, it's a win!
To be clear, I can only propel it to that speed fairly briefly, I can't maintain it for long!

If you are in a group, drafting, it is easier to keep the bike moving. My solo rides are quite different - more leisurely, rarely above the 15.5 mph cut off, except on the flat with the wind behind me and downhill.
E-road bikes came along just in time for me. I would have probably stopped cycling otherwise as I wanted a bike as much like and as close as possible in character to the bikes I'd been riding for well over 50 years, and to continue club riding.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The issues come from riding too hard for shortish steep climbs or too hard on longer slight gradients. I literally feel that I am going to pass out when I have to stop, but then after a minute or so am good to go again.

I do not ride with groups, other than occasionally with a couple of friends who are no faster than I am.

I must admit to quite enjoying challenging myself and am finding it very difficult to accept the natural limitations of an ageing body, and getting quite depressed about it.

I do not want to lose my fitness, but I also do not want to lose the enjoyment of rides that include an element of pleasure of the countryside as well as some hard work. Both make the ride for me.

One problem I have is that I always feel time-short because of other pressures and commitments and try to fit as much as possible into less than three hours (including a coffee stop) a few times a week.

I know an e-bike is on the horizon. I was in town this morning and called in just to see what they had in Evans. Waste of time, absolutely no drop bar bikes at all and none coming in.

Worth trawling the web. There is quite a choice of e-road and e-gravel bikes now. Some hub drive - Mahle X35/X20, and some mid-drive. Whether you can see them in the flesh/carbon is another matter and of course the most desirable tend to be the most pricey ^_^ . Ribble have a few showrooms now and a good range of e-bikes, which you can customise to some extent. Other brands are available of course - I rather like Scott, and Wilier.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I use my ebike for shopping and local trips to restaurants and pubs mainly. I've done 50 to 60 mile rides too. Yes they make it a bit easier but the benefit is being able to stick in Z2 for effort whether there's a hills or headwind.

I have no problems going back on non assisted bikes. I just travel slower and have to change gears for hills.

95% of my riding is indoors on Zwift

Last edited:

NickWi

Guru
Another Orbea Gain satisfied owner here (got mine in 2018). It rides like an ordinary road bike when you want it, it gives oomph when need it. The power (as in torque) levels aren't as high as some and neither is the battery so big, but as lightweight road oriented bike, giving gentle assitance they're good.

Also switched to an ebike last September for commuting, now done almost 3000km on it and really enjoy it. For me it’s a totally different ride as it’s a utility tool but one that i can still get some reasonable exercise on. It certainly helps in the sense that I’m out there riding more and i average around 140-150 watts on my ebike rides although all are fairly short at 35mins each but certainly it’s no walk in the park.

My wife uses he e-MTB daily and finds it helps her knees with better blood flow and muscle building so I’m pretty convinced by them. I still ride mainly road, then quite a bit of MTB plus the commute stuff and it’s all good fun and yet very different.

What’s the worst that can happen ? If you don’t like it then you can always sell it on.

Top Bottom