E bikes power assitance cut off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do all e bikes stop providing power at 15mph+? Can you buy an e bike that provides an extra boost of power however fast your going? If you're riding off road I dont see any legal issues.

the short answer is yes you can buy a bike (or kit )that gives you more,loads on ebey, but are illegal to use on or off road, this is worth a read.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-guide-to-ebikes.179245/

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I saw a specialized one yesterday that clocked up to 33MPH on a Garmin 1000 . The owner had moved the wheel magnet to the crank arm so it tricked the motor into thinking the bike was going slower than it actually was . After that we had a race on childrens trikes .
Yesterday was great fun !

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Do all e bikes stop providing power at 15mph+? Can you buy an e bike that provides an extra boost of power however fast your going? If you're riding off road I dont see any legal issues.

The problem is any land to which the public has access is covered by the 15.5mph ebike speed limit restriction.

Strictly, it doesn't even matter if the member of the public has to commit a civil trespass to be there.

Which rules out anywhere you could realistically ride a bike.

A fully fenced and gated field would be a contender, but even then it would be wise to lock the gate.

OP
OP
U

User16625

The problem is any land to which the public has access is covered by the 15.5mph ebike speed limit restriction.

Strictly, it doesn't even matter if the member of the public has to commit a civil trespass to be there.

Which rules out anywhere you could realistically ride a bike.

A fully fenced and gated field would be a contender, but even then it would be wise to lock the gate.

JESUS CHRIST! That is unbelievably pedantic, suppose I should have assumed that. I guess they leave people little option but to break the law if they want powered (or power assisted) transport but dont want the hassle of licensing and insurance. I know I already have a full motorcycle license but I would definitely be put off. I already do 20ish on the flat on my Scott and about 15ish on my commuter bike.

midlife

Guru
I don't think it's pedantic, more a case of protecting the public. :smile:

Shaun

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The number of websites that offer advice on how to get around the 15mph limit suggests it might have been done by one or two people...

Not that such things could be condoned, obviously. :whistle:

I don't have a huge problem with someone having an otherwise legal motor set to assist up to ordinary bicycle speeds.

In that scenario, the user would be pedalling fairly hard to do, say, 20mph.

But it is still illegal, and I have a big problem with retailers misleading customers by saying it is legal 'off-road' when it plainly is not.

MistaDee

I saw a specialized one yesterday that clocked up to 33MPH on a Garmin 1000 . The owner had moved the wheel magnet to the crank arm so it tricked the motor into thinking the bike was going slower than it actually was . After that we had a race on childrens trikes .
Yesterday was great fun !

On the Specialized Turbo bikes like the Levo 6Fattie MTB then the action of moving the wheel magnet is not needed and its the incorrect way to improve performance, you can connect to the bike using Specialized mission control bluetooth app and simply tell the bike that its wheelsize is smaller than the default setting and they can hit 35mpg quite easily, but the wear rate on the groupset when you do these hacks to the Specialized bikes is pretty extensive.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
On the Specialized Turbo bikes like the Levo 6Fattie MTB then the action of moving the wheel magnet is not needed and its the incorrect way to improve performance, you can connect to the bike using Specialized mission control bluetooth app and simply tell the bike that its wheelsize is smaller than the default setting and they can hit 35mpg quite easily, but the wear rate on the groupset when you do these hacks to the Specialized bikes is pretty extensive.

The Spesh bike has a Brose crank drive motor, no throttle, so you have to pedal.

You can persuade the motor to carry on assisting above 15mph, but there is no way with mountain bike gearing you will hit 35mph, 'quite easily' or otherwise.

oldbadger

Regular
I test pedalled a Kudos mountain bike last week. The distributor explained that any new imports cannot have a throttle, and only have a 4mph button which is separate from the pedal-assist mode. This bike had five levels of thrust-power, all cutting out at 15.5mph, and level 1 (lowest) would have been enough for me to cruise up our steepest local hill. I guess that most cyclists might snub the 4mph button, but it could be most useful for slow maneovring through tricky areas, leaving the feet free to stamp 'n' go as required.

But I decided not to buy..... will keep grunting merrily away up Borstal and Radfall Hills! :tongue:

Top Bottom