E-Scooters - One death and a serious injury this weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh no I didn't.

Panto season seems to start earlier and earlier.
There's times when I wonder if "panto season" ever ends.

Your own words
That doesn't make it right to run them over!

Please say where in the linked article it says that the e-scooter rider was run over. Put up or shut up.

icowden

Veteran
Please say where in the linked article it says that the e-scooter rider was run over. Put up or shut up.
It doesn't and @mjr didn't say that it did. He responded to your statement with a sweeping generalisation which I think many people would agree with.
Of course there are questions. We all know that e-scooters are illegal to use on the road, but the vast majority of people who use one ignore that "law" because it was drafted way before e-scooters were invented. The Government are dragging their feet on updating legislation as usual.

Similarly one questions the sanity of the rider in taking an e-scooter down what appears to be a dual carriageway with a 70mph speed limit. Regardless of those questions, I think we would all agree with @mjr's statement.

Reactions: mjr

classic33

Leg End Member
It doesn't and @mjr didn't say that it did. He responded to your statement with a sweeping generalisation which I think many people would agree with.
Of course there are questions. We all know that e-scooters are illegal to use on the road, but the vast majority of people who use one ignore that "law" because it was drafted way before e-scooters were invented. The Government are dragging their feet on updating legislation as usual.

Similarly one questions the sanity of the rider in taking an e-scooter down what appears to be a dual carriageway with a 70mph speed limit. Regardless of those questions, I think we would all agree with @mjr's statement.
Makes your previous post asking if I'd actually read the piece pointless now. The proof was given in response to his post. Four lanes of traffic shut following the incident. We still don't know who hit who first, or even if it was something as unavoidable as not being able to avoid the other vehicle involved. Which is why I said I'll reserve judgement until that is known.

It's private e-scooters that are illegal on UK roads at present. Use of those in the trials aren't.

Electric scooters, similar to today's E-scooters have been around for the last twenty years. The major differences are their numbers and the fact that there's people trying to make money out of having people pay to use only their scooters. I'm hoping they are made legal, because the rules that will be brought in for legal usage, will put many off the roads and pavements. Then what'll be next?
We've had hoverboards, monowheels and now we're onto e-scooters, as a means of getting people active, cutting down on the amount of traffic on roads. We may just end up with more single user motor vehicles, whose riders don't want to use the roads. Possibly incapable of using the roads with larger vehicles, such as bicycles, so they start demanding segregated lanes and facilities. All the while being pushed by people/companies seeking to make money out of them.

Bristolian

We have ~these~ things cluttering up the pavements here in Hamtun. Bl**dy nuisance, and they're legal, too.
Even though they're legal, they are ridden '2 up', on pavements and by kids not old enough to have a driving licence.

Not sure of any injury stats, though.

I feel sorry for you. Voi have recently been kicked out of Bristol for not enforcing their own hire rules. Unfortunately, they are being replaced by another hirer who is also bringing e-bikes to the mix.

Top Bottom