E-Scooters - One death and a serious injury this weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I was at Sherwood Pines on Sunday (first time I'd been although only living 15 miles away) there was a young lad 8ish on an electric motorbike zipping around a lot faster than a kid of 8 would be going on a pedal cycle.

Smudge

Veteran
They've been allowed to get away with using these fast scooters on pavements, roads, shared paths, for so long now, that its seen as perfectly acceptable now by those that buy & use them. The same with non road legal ebikes.
There's not enough police to stop it or even take an interest in it.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sounds awesome. I like to let my neighbours have a listen to it, by revving the tits off it when leaving my house before a rideout.
Have you moved in up the street from me :hello: he has an R1 & I think he thinks it's a target to see if he can do more than 60 between his & my house

D

Deleted member 26715

Only 60 !
Sounds like Captain Slow.... I could do much better than that.
There's only a detached house between us, with not a very wide garden

bonker

Guru
This electric stuff is all going to end in (more) tears.
On my route I have electric scooters in the road, cycle lane and on the pavement. Some fast, some slow ( in the cycle lane and getting in the way). There are unrestricted ebikes that are incredibly fast and quick off the mark at lights. They are generally in the cycle lane but are too fast and don't have the manoeuvrability of a push bike.
Sadly government and regulation don't move as fast as technology.

I think there's a general view that under 15mph and in a bike lane you are OK, people on here obviously know the law and that isn't the case.

Having said that you have lots of idiots on bikes.

PS. I'll leave the skateboards, longboards and mopeds/motornbikes in the cycle lane to another day. It's a jungle out there peeps.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You also have to look at the people who are buying these scooters, they are not your average cyclist but young people who just think they are cool and look at them as a lifestyle accessory rather like a smartphone, tablet or computer. They are likely therefore not safety aware and maybe have never been on the road before. They step on to one of these machines which are powerful and inherently unstable.
This guy Marques Brownlee regularly reviews phones etc but has now been drawn to featuring e scooters maybe because he can see them being a thing amongst his followers;

View: https://youtu.be/JqyzwbpYYqc

Last edited:
Top Bottom