E-Scooters - One death and a serious injury this weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
I've read through the entire thread and still don't know whether to get a Xiaomi or a Ninebot!*

*Not for me, you understand - for the Mrs. I don't want to be kicked out of CC!

More seriously, with all the e-bikes, e-scooters and e-cars over here I sometimes feel a bit out-dated pedalling about.

MarkF

Guru
Are electric mobility scooters DVLA registered and insured? Those things are scarily wobbly & slow, seems odd they can be used on the roads bit able bodied folk have obstacles.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Saw a couple of e-scooters in London last week, But when in Paris last year, there were hundreds of them and they were the hire type - pick up & leave anywhere. They really are a transport of the future - clean, quick, convenient and cheap. Just need some common sense guidelines for their use.
Exactly.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
These scooters need to be confiscated on sight and crushed by the Police. They are generally ridden by complete idiots with no regard for their own or anyone else's safety. Just wait until there are frequent scooter/cyclist accidents and cyclists start getting seriously injured or killed and some of you will soon change your tune about everybody having to tolerate these dangerous morons just because they are supposedly "green" methods of transport.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
These scooters need to be confiscated on sight and crushed by the Police. They are generally ridden by complete idiots with no regard for their own or anyone else's safety. Just wait until there are frequent scooter/cyclist accidents and cyclists start getting seriously injured or killed and some of you will soon change your tune about everybody having to tolerate these dangerous morons just because they are supposedly "green" methods of transport.
How about we wait until there are accidents? I think the scooterists will come off worse. Also, why do they work elsewhere?

classic33

Leg End Member
How about we wait until there are accidents? I think the scooterists will come off worse. Also, why do they work elsewhere?
Currently cycles are legal road vehicles, in the UK, powered scooters aren't.

Deal with the non-legal vehicles on the highways and byways first.

Is it fair that a driver who was doing nothing wrong, is hit for the damage their vehicle caused in avoiding hitting a child on an illegal vehicle?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The boyfriend of the woman killed in the Battersea accident who bought the scooter for her says he doesn't think he's responsible for her death. He goes on to say " I don't think they should be banned for adults as they are electric, go a maximum of 20mph and don't do any harm to the environment".
No mention of any harm they might do to the rider.

Smudge

Veteran
The boyfriend of the woman killed in the Battersea accident who bought the scooter for her says he doesn't think he's responsible for her death. He goes on to say " I don't think they should be banned for adults as they are electric, go a maximum of 20mph and don't do any harm to the environment".
No mention of any harm they might do to the rider.

Or to someone else, seeing as these scooters seem to be often ridden on the pavement.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Are electric mobility scooters DVLA registered and insured? Those things are scarily wobbly & slow, seems odd they can be used on the roads bit able bodied folk have obstacles.
They don't have to be registered or insured as far as I know, although insurance is advised by the sellers. The smaller ones have a 4mph limit and are really for pavements but the larger ones have an 8mph limit and usually have lights, indicators, horn, etc for road use. Dad had one for a while when he lost his driving licence.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Currently cycles are legal road vehicles, in the UK, powered scooters aren't.

Deal with the non-legal vehicles on the highways and byways first.

Is it fair that a driver who was doing nothing wrong, is hit for the damage their vehicle caused in avoiding hitting a child on an illegal vehicle?
I disagree they were doing nothing wrong. With the benefit of hindsight, they were going faster than they could deal with the conditions. This may be understandable or even excusable, but let's not turn this forum into another haven of stories of poor downtrodden motorists who have nothing to do with the damage they do!

Legality is disconnected from safety and reason on escooters in the UK. I'm not willing to condemn them merely because our MPs have been shirking.

classic33

Leg End Member
I disagree they were doing nothing wrong. With the benefit of hindsight, they were going faster than they could deal with the conditions. This may be understandable or even excusable, but let's not turn this forum into another haven of stories of poor downtrodden motorists who have nothing to do with the damage they do!

Legality is disconnected from safety and reason on escooters in the UK. I'm not willing to condemn them merely because our MPs have been shirking.
Legallity has a lot to do with it. If you were hit by a motor vehicle that shouldn't have been on the road(no VED, MOT or insurance) in the first place, you have somewhere to turn. With these, there's no-where except the person in charge at the time.

You appear to feel that they were going too fast for conditions at the time. This makes them responsible for the action of person in charge of the hoverboard at the time, in your eyes. Despite the latter not being road legal.

Driver(and vehicle) were going little over walking pace, having just passed one group of kids playing in/on the road. Their playground.

I was there when it happened, were you?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Saw a couple of e-scooters in London last week, But when in Paris last year, there were hundreds of them and they were the hire type - pick up & leave anywhere. They really are a transport of the future - clean, quick, convenient and cheap. Just need some common sense guidelines for their use.
Not going so well over there too it seems and I wouldn't think new legislation will make much difference;
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...illed-in-paris-traffic-accident-idUSKCN1TC1NU

Sharky

Guru
Not going so well over there too it seems and I wouldn't think new legislation will make much difference;
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...illed-in-paris-traffic-accident-idUSKCN1TC1NU

There was probably similar uproar and arguments when Bridget Driscoll was killed, but cars are still here today.

Needs some regulation. I think I heard that the mayor of Paris was going to make the Paris City Centre pedestrian only. That would ban cars and open up possibility for scooter lanes.

Top Bottom