Ealing comedies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
I have a double dvd with 'School for Scoundrels' and 'The Green Man'. Although the latter is not an Ealing comedy as such, it is of that ilk and laugh out loud funny even after several viewings: recommended!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
What a list of classics...:ohmy:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My two favourites are the Ladykillers and The Long Arm of the Law. Lionel Jeffreys as Soapy Stevens and Peter Sellers as the crook, at their best.

Noodley

Paulus said:
...Lionel Jeffreys as Soapy Stevens...

Soapy Stevens? I've heard him called many things, but that will stick I reckon.

The continuing flirtations of Arch and Soapy Stevens :girl:

Mortiroloboy

I may be wrong, but I think School for Scoundrels, was filmed at Elstree and was released as a Gainsborough Film?

Any of the Ealing comedies, they are all 'classic' British comedies, although they are timeless, in my opinion it does help if you are of a certain age, they are far too gentle to appeal to the youngsters of today.

What I like about them is seeing townscapes and landscapes from a relatively recent past, that has forever disappeared.

col

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
margaret rutherford?

Noodley said:
Margaret Rutherford?

I liked Will Hay comedies, which I think were made by Ealing. George Fornby as well.

Hey hey,iv just found out how to multi quote,and yes that her:biggrin:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
hearing the music from the Margaret Rutherford Miss Marple films still fills me with joy.

Bought myself the complete Ealing comedies box set for christmas, worth every penny!

Not sure if it's an Ealing specifically, but two Way Stretch is great, as are all the Launder and Gilliat films.

Wish things could be made as good nowadays, but people don't have the patience......

Speicher

Vice Admiral
col said:
It was the batty one on a bike,with a cape,cant remember her name.but great fun to watch.:smile:

The "Batty old Lady" in lady killers, is quite different to Miss Marple, but I think you will like it. I cannot say too much, because that might give the plot away.:tongue:

Top Bottom