1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ealing comedies

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Renard, 27 Jan 2008.

1. Renard

Renard Guest

Watched a film called School for Scoundels (1959) last night starring Ian Carmichael, Terry Thomas (in a typical TT gap toothed caddish role), Alastair Sim and a pretty little thing called Janette Scott. It was a very enjoyable film in a Mr Cholmondley-Warner type of way.

It got me round to thinking of Ealing comedies. Films of that time all seem to have a simple home-grown charm. I can't think of a bad one. Kind Hearts and Coronets, Passport to Pimlico, The Ladykillers, Hue and Cry, The man in the white suit, The Lavender Hill mob, Titbolt Thunderbolt... need I go on. Which one is your favourite?

2. ...surely the Titbolt Thunderfield! ;)

They are all good...gentle, polite and respectful. 'Light and shade' values in black and white films made them interesting too.

3. Cheddar George

Cheddar George oober member

The Ladykillers is my favourite - so many brilliant character actors.

4. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Whisky Galore!

Not sure it was Ealing though - might have been Kircudbright Studios or something...

5. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

Lavender Hill mob. Good to see Sid James in something other than Carry On films.

6. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Very partial to Kind Hearts and Coronets myself, although I'd happily spend an hour or two watching any of those listed so far.

7. dmoan

dmoan Über Member

Passport to Pimlico.

I also loved 'Went The Day Well' - not a comedy as such but a great Ealing movie.

8. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

Titfield Thunderbolt. As the daughter of a trainspotter, I loved it!!

9. col

col Veteran

Great films,love em all.

10. Speicher

Speicher Vice Admiral

When a similar thread came up, you said you liked batty old ladies (miss Marple? ) in which case I think you will like the "Ladykillers". ;)

11. col

col Veteran

It was the batty one on a bike,with a cape,cant remember her name.but great fun to watch.:sad:

12. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

margaret rutherford?

13. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Margaret Rutherford?

I liked Will Hay comedies, which I think were made by Ealing. George Fornby as well.

14. Noodley

Noodley Guest

I think I have an echo problem my side ;)

15. Titfield Thunderbolt. As a keen student of Beeching - era railway closures, and being prone to poking around dismal corners of fields where railway lines once ran, I love that film. But you're right, BJB, they all have an oddly British charm about them.