Ealing comedies

Renard

Watched a film called School for Scoundels (1959) last night starring Ian Carmichael, Terry Thomas (in a typical TT gap toothed caddish role), Alastair Sim and a pretty little thing called Janette Scott. It was a very enjoyable film in a Mr Cholmondley-Warner type of way.

It got me round to thinking of Ealing comedies. Films of that time all seem to have a simple home-grown charm. I can't think of a bad one. Kind Hearts and Coronets, Passport to Pimlico, The Ladykillers, Hue and Cry, The man in the white suit, The Lavender Hill mob, Titbolt Thunderbolt... need I go on. Which one is your favourite?

BJB said:
Watched a film called School for Scoundels (1959) last night starring Ian Carmichael, Terry Thomas (in a typical TT gap toothed caddish role), Alastair Sim and a pretty little thing called Janette Scott. It was a very enjoyable film in a Mr Cholmondley-Warner type of way.

It got me round to thinking of Ealing comedies. Films of that time all seem to have a simple home-grown charm. I can't think of a bad one. Kind Hearts and Coronets, Passport to Pimlico, The Ladykillers, Hue and Cry, The man in the white suit, The Lavender Hill mob, Titbolt Thunderbolt... need I go on. Which one is your favourite?
...surely the Titbolt Thunderfield! ;)

They are all good...gentle, polite and respectful. 'Light and shade' values in black and white films made them interesting too.

col

Veteran
Great films,love em all.

col

Veteran
Speicher said:
When a similar thread came up, you said you liked batty old ladies (miss Marple? ) in which case I think you will like the "Ladykillers". ;)

It was the batty one on a bike,with a cape,cant remember her name.but great fun to watch.:sad:

Noodley

col said:
It was the batty one on a bike,with a cape,cant remember her name.but great fun to watch.;)
Margaret Rutherford?

I liked Will Hay comedies, which I think were made by Ealing. George Fornby as well.

Top Bottom