Ealing comedies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renard

Watched a film called School for Scoundels (1959) last night starring Ian Carmichael, Terry Thomas (in a typical TT gap toothed caddish role), Alastair Sim and a pretty little thing called Janette Scott. It was a very enjoyable film in a Mr Cholmondley-Warner type of way.

It got me round to thinking of Ealing comedies. Films of that time all seem to have a simple home-grown charm. I can't think of a bad one. Kind Hearts and Coronets, Passport to Pimlico, The Ladykillers, Hue and Cry, The man in the white suit, The Lavender Hill mob, Titbolt Thunderbolt... need I go on. Which one is your favourite?

BJB said:
Watched a film called School for Scoundels (1959) last night starring Ian Carmichael, Terry Thomas (in a typical TT gap toothed caddish role), Alastair Sim and a pretty little thing called Janette Scott. It was a very enjoyable film in a Mr Cholmondley-Warner type of way.

It got me round to thinking of Ealing comedies. Films of that time all seem to have a simple home-grown charm. I can't think of a bad one. Kind Hearts and Coronets, Passport to Pimlico, The Ladykillers, Hue and Cry, The man in the white suit, The Lavender Hill mob, Titbolt Thunderbolt... need I go on. Which one is your favourite?

...surely the Titbolt Thunderfield! ;)

They are all good...gentle, polite and respectful. 'Light and shade' values in black and white films made them interesting too.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Very partial to Kind Hearts and Coronets myself, although I'd happily spend an hour or two watching any of those listed so far.

col

Legendary Member
Great films,love em all.

col

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
When a similar thread came up, you said you liked batty old ladies (miss Marple? ) in which case I think you will like the "Ladykillers". ;)

It was the batty one on a bike,with a cape,cant remember her name.but great fun to watch.:sad:

Noodley

col said:
It was the batty one on a bike,with a cape,cant remember her name.but great fun to watch.;)

Margaret Rutherford?

I liked Will Hay comedies, which I think were made by Ealing. George Fornby as well.

Top Bottom