Ear wax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I cleared my ears of wax yesterday using my Ear irrigation spray kit.

The main requirement is that you keep the ear wax soft by using olive oil two or three times a week.

The pic below shows the exact Ear irrigation spray kit I have and it works fantastically for softened ear wax.

You have plenty of spare nozzles with the kit.

61v2WfqS+3S._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Milzy

Guru
Olive oil drops always work a charm.

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

Well reporting back.
But first, thanks to all who posted.

After many a day of using olive oil and no result, at one point near 100 per cent deaf, I trotted off - naively perhaps in these days - to my GP - at my local one, appointments by phone call seem to be in the way way future (not that I could hear anything down a phone anyway) but you can present yourself in person early in the morning for an "emergency" chance at the doc. Walked in, told receptionist I was 100 per cent deaf and she would have to write her responses down.
She promptly handed me a business card for some obvious franchise operation - earsRus or something - bottom of card had a generous list of south London areas they covered, two of which they had managed to spell wrongly.
At which being of a certain age and attitude, I told her I had come to see my GP, not to get a private recommendation.
She scribbled an apponitment time on a bit of paper - 1.5 hours hence - so I left to go sit in the park for a while but on leaving told her to feel free to recommend a plumber.
As I returned I noticed what I hadn't before outside the GP practice - a big plastic banner on the railings advertising a private ear wrangler.
Then went and set in reception area - told receptionist she would have to come in front of me as I wouldn't hear any announcement.
Reception totally empty - very odd - post covid everyone on an app?
And as I sat down found myself looking at a great big floor mounted ad banner advertising same private ear wrangler.
Then GP appeared in front of me and I trotted into his room.
He was very nice - maybe he admired me blustering my way through the forest of adverts.
He had to write down all his questions and at one point apologised for his writing.
Took a look, said totally blocked, said I needed a stronger ear drop.
Prescribed something - turned out to be sodium bicarb drops - said maybe St Thomas Hospital (they took Boris in of course for his covid) could get the water cannon out but not at the mo until more softening.
Said to use his prescribed drops and come back in two weeks.
at least he was going to see me/accept me into the warm embrace of the NHS.
Went next door to pharmacy and drops came free for some reason.
They did seem to melt the wax. remove a film of wax into the outer ear - had some small effect in one ear but nothing much dropped out.
Then on way back from pub I got some urea hydrogen peroxide drops for £3 from savers.
better.
The ordered something similar to the device recommended by
@GuyBoden
at first sight (and in truth pre ordering) wasn't too convinced - looked like something cobbled together from a garden plant sprayer.
But, to cut to the chase, the hydrogen peroxide and that device sorted it.
Thanks to all, particularly guy.
If anyone wants more gory details of my ear probing or any links to what I bought (and I bought some other stuff) feel free to ask.
So thanks again all.
Am pretty confident I won't be paying any private ops in future for such a simple thing.

GuyBoden

Guru
Well reporting back.
But first, thanks to all who posted.

After many a day of using olive oil and no result, at one point near 100 per cent deaf, I trotted off - naively perhaps in these days - to my GP - at my local one, appointments by phone call seem to be in the way way future (not that I could hear anything down a phone anyway) but you can present yourself in person early in the morning for an "emergency" chance at the doc. Walked in, told receptionist I was 100 per cent deaf and she would have to write her responses down.
She promptly handed me a business card for some obvious franchise operation - earsRus or something - bottom of card had a generous list of south London areas they covered, two of which they had managed to spell wrongly.
At which being of a certain age and attitude, I told her I had come to see my GP, not to get a private recommendation.
She scribbled an apponitment time on a bit of paper - 1.5 hours hence - so I left to go sit in the park for a while but on leaving told her to feel free to recommend a plumber.
As I returned I noticed what I hadn't before outside the GP practice - a big plastic banner on the railings advertising a private ear wrangler.
Then went and set in reception area - told receptionist she would have to come in front of me as I wouldn't hear any announcement.
Reception totally empty - very odd - post covid everyone on an app?
And as I sat down found myself looking at a great big floor mounted ad banner advertising same private ear wrangler.
Then GP appeared in front of me and I trotted into his room.
He was very nice - maybe he admired me blustering my way through the forest of adverts.
He had to write down all his questions and at one point apologised for his writing.
Took a look, said totally blocked, said I needed a stronger ear drop.
Prescribed something - turned out to be sodium bicarb drops - said maybe St Thomas Hospital (they took Boris in of course for his covid) could get the water cannon out but not at the mo until more softening.
Said to use his prescribed drops and come back in two weeks.
at least he was going to see me/accept me into the warm embrace of the NHS.
Went next door to pharmacy and drops came free for some reason.
They did seem to melt the wax. remove a film of wax into the outer ear - had some small effect in one ear but nothing much dropped out.
Then on way back from pub I got some urea hydrogen peroxide drops for £3 from savers.
better.
The ordered something similar to the device recommended by
@GuyBoden
at first sight (and in truth pre ordering) wasn't too convinced - looked like something cobbled together from a garden plant sprayer.
But, to cut to the chase, the hydrogen peroxide and that device sorted it.
Thanks to all, particularly guy.
If anyone wants more gory details of my ear probing or any links to what I bought (and I bought some other stuff) feel free to ask.
So thanks again all.
Am pretty confident I won't be paying any private ops in future for such a simple thing.

Excellent, well done, just remember to keep the ear wax soft by using olive oil drops two or three times a week or they will block up again.

Yes, the garden plant spray contraption does look a bit William Heath Robinson, but it does the job, without causing any harm to your ears.:okay:

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

Excellent, well done, just remember to keep the ear wax soft by using olive oil drops two or three times a week or they will block up again.

Yes, the garden plant spray contraption does look a bit William Heath Robinson, but it does the job, without causing any harm to your ears.:okay:

I will do more preventative maintenance for sure going forward but 2 or 3 times a week?

Top Bottom