Ear wax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
Interesting reading. I happen to have bought otex on Wednesday. No change yet. I,m also a tinutus sufferer. Which makes it hell.
On tour from tomorrow, riding to Bavaria, taking the bottle with me.

classic33

Leg End Member

Alex321

Veteran
A fellow cycle tourist suggested hydrogen peroxide solution, dripped into the ear using a syringe. I tried it once because the commercial options were not helping and my goodness but it worked. It crackles and tickles for fifteen minutes and you have to scoosh the ear out afterwards.

That's what I use - or rather my wife uses it on me :smile:

It reacts with the wax and softens/loosens it - that is what all the crackling is about.

Chislenko

Veteran
Have to debunk the theory that earwax removal is no longer available on the NHS.

I am doing my olive oil drops as I speak ready for my appointment at my local NHS surgery next week. They use the water method and it is usually done by the sister / nurse.

Certainly some surgeries stopped it during COVID but ours has definitely resumed it.

mikeIow

Guru
Have to debunk the theory that earwax removal is no longer available on the NHS.

I am doing my olive oil drops as I speak ready for my appointment at my local NHS surgery next week. They use the water method and it is usually done by the sister / nurse.

Certainly some surgeries stopped it during COVID but ours has definitely resumed it.

Yup…see my post above 👍

Always Cross

Veteran
I use Earole for 2 weeks then use a round rubber squeezy thing to squirt water into the ear. Looks disgusting what comes out sometimes how someone can do that for a living I don’t know. My GP won’t do them.

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

My experience with Specsavers was excellent. Cost is £60 and uses micro suction, I needed 2 visits (no extra cost) to clear the wax in my left ear.
Specsavers recommend Earol, use this daily for at least a week before you go, helps soften the wax prior to suction.
View attachment 661254

thanks for info - I checked out their web page and was a bit concerned about lack of info on whether they would do a free follow up if not initially successful - can I ask when you used them? (in case something has changed)

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

Does feel rough to remove a medical health thing like that from the service we all pay for…but then the NHS is rather a bottomless pit to throw money into…..& syringing ears is an easy thing for other businesses to take on, perhaps 🤷‍♂️

also easy for NHS to do it seems to me - doesn't take long at all - most folks will only turn up every now and again to get it done. If at all. And it doesn't need a major surgeon if they have the right kit. Usually done by nurse - in fact it was way way back when I was a kid.
If the NHS has stopped doing this, I'd get in quick folks before other bits of the body are hived off.
Left foot - you need ****

Right eye - *** will see to it for a price.
Testicular cancer - tell us which one before we decide of it's private or comes under the post-war settlement.
Special offer this week on *** - double points as we've just had a short-term Truss grant. Roll up roll up.
Will report back I promise when I have a full story - current situation variable.
Glad you got sorted.

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

I use Earole for 2 weeks then use a round rubber squeezy thing to squirt water into the ear. Looks disgusting what comes out sometimes how someone can do that for a living I don’t know. My GP won’t do them.

not that disgusting - had it done two or three times in my long life - was always pleased to see the stuff.
Am sure some folks claim that it's the perfect near zero friction chain lube.

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

can I/we ask where you are?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Anyone got any hot tips for DIY removal?
something popped/clogged in the shower and am now near enough deaf in one ear.
should have attended to before I suppose as my hearing has been wonky for a fair old while, but I suppose I was wary of tinkering - if it aint really broke don't try to fix it.
And now turns out that the other ear is also now very suboptimal.

Am now on the verge of deafness.

Though I won't be touching that until other sorted.

linked, a bit of online research seems to suggest that it is now rather hard/possibly even impossible to get this sorted at your local GP on the NHS.
True?
If so I find this truly shocking.
Have had this very simple procedure done two or three times in my life and it transformed my hearing, for me then to never trouble the NHS for years for whatever reason.

over to you nice folks, though please no suggestions about the wonders of GT85.

Ages back the GP's / NHS stopped carrying out this service due to potential liability issues.

Comforting!

Specsavers do 2 ears at £55 and the dedicated ear clinic I use charges £70.

+1 for Otex.
I occasionally get a blocked up ear from water getting into it whilst showering.
I warm the Otex by keeping the bottle in my hand for a few minutes before putting some into the offending ear, then lay on my side for a few minutes with bad ear uppermost, to let it "soak in".
Then a bit of cotton wool LIGHTLY inside my ear (obviously not rammed far in!) to catch the Otex as it inevitably leaks out. Repeat a couple of times a day and for me hearing will be restored in about 2 days as some wax comes out on the cotton wool.
Hope this helps.....

robjh

Legendary Member
Do try your GP if you haven't already done so. Our local practice is still removing ear wax and I had mine done earlier this year. If not, then use one of the commercial providers that people have mentioned on here. I have found oils and hot water pretty useless on their own once the wax gets compacted and you need someone who can actually hoik - I'm not sure of the technical term - the stuff out.

Top Bottom