Early morning ride ends early

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dragonsnapper

Hope you make a full and speedy recovery and dont suffer to much pain, Just as a mater of interest what type of helmet where you wearing it certainly done its job very well ?
Thanks. The helmet was a Carnac from Planet X. Only damage to the bike that I am able to see are som scratches on the pedals.

Will Spin

Über Member
I'm obviously not sure about the exact circumstances of your accident, but a friend of mine had an accident transferring from road cycle lane to pavement cycle path which resulted in a broken collar bone. He and I both reported it to the local county council on their pothole reporting website and lo and behold a few months later some improvements to the transfer point were made making it slightly safer.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Just as a mater of interest what type of helmet where you wearing it certainly done its job very well ?
Or not? Without wishing to start another helmet debate, the thing cracked without the OP even being aware of hitting his head. So the crack might have been caused by a glancing blow from a wasp prior to the fall; and without the extra weight and bulk of the helmet the OP's head would probably not have come into contact with anything (if indeed it ever did).
Get well soon @dragonsnapper !

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Or not? Without wishing to start another helmet debate, the thing cracked without the OP even being aware of hitting his head. So the crack might have been caused by a glancing blow from a wasp prior to the fall; and without the extra weight and bulk of the helmet the OP's head would probably not have come into contact with anything (if indeed it ever did).
My bad crash my helmet had a dent/scrape too so feel it did some good. They certainly are only really of use in specific types of falls.

OP.......hope you're feeling a bit better now.

OP
OP
D

dragonsnapper

Hi when I say I didn’t even know that I had hit my head I should clarify.
I remember seeing the kerb knowing I was going to hit it. I then picked myself up. I actually don’t remember exactly how myself and the bike choreographed the accident.
Is it possible that subconsciously I was aware that something bad was going to happen and that my brain thought “I don’t want to know what’s going to happen “ and switched off. That would explain why the helmet was broken but I don’t know how.
When the doctor saw me he said that I would be in pain for about 3 weeks, I am halfway through.
Being on the wrong side of 73 might slow me down a bit.

davidphilips

Veteran
Main thing is you are recovering and hopefully not in to much pain or discomfort, Keep us posted and know that best wishes to yourself are ment and thought by every one on CC.

Mrs M

Guru
GWS
xx

OP
OP
D

dragonsnapper

Morning all, thanks for the good wishes and speedy recovery messages. 25 days later and I’m much improved. Only needing one crutch now to move around. Pain has now reduced to dull ache although at times can be rather acute. Don’t think I’ll be on my bike for a while yet, very frustrating.

OP
OP
D

dragonsnapper

Started on my trainer yesterday, only 5 minutes, but it’s a start. Bit of an ache but not too much. Aiming to be on the road within a fortnight.

Top Bottom