Earphones whilst riding - yes or no - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
My personal take is no, simply that anything that distracts from the task in hand i.e., concentrating what is going on around you is a bad thing, especially in traffic. Also, I don't like the feeling of being 'cut off' from the world.
What I do find surprising is that according to two traffic policemen I asked, it isn't illegal to wear earphones whilst driving, despite it being banned in many states in the USA.

gaz71

Über Member
As much as id like to wear earphones whilst riding i wont as i want to be 100% concentrated on whats going on around me.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I use some that sit in front of your ear on the boney bit. They are called Aftershokz.. You can hear traffic and surrounding noise through your lug holes as normal.. Work really well

Brandane

Legendary Member
On roads no. On NCN disused railway type paths, I do sometimes.
Whilst driving a 44 tonne lorry, yes if it's a long boring motorway run but not in town or heavy traffic.

Drago

Legendary Member
Here we go...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not for me. I like to hear what's approaching and things like gear changing so i can judge what that driver behind me is going to do next. Besides, i was told by the audiology nurse years ago when i went for a hearing test that constant use of headphones (i usually had the volume up to about 8 out of 10) as they were called then,had led to my slight sound loss and that further use would make it worse. I haven't worn them since.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have enough trouble hearing cars sneaking up behind me, without blocking my ears.

Why would I want to listen to music with the roar of the wind over the top?

And why wouldn't I want to hear the call of the curlew and the twitter of the birdies when I'm riding anyway?

Lonestar

Veteran
Here we go...

Is that a yes or no?:hello:

Yes and often on full or almost full volume.

Touchy subject and folks have a tendency to get bitchy on either side of the argument. Also see helmets, red light jumping, pavement cycling, etc.

Two are breaking the law there and whether helmets or headphones are worn is not an offence in this country AFAIK.Pavement cycling is legal in some places or something like that.

I don't think headphones are the biggest problem.I think peoples awareness of traffic is whether wearing headphones or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom