Earthquake!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cathryn said:
We felt it in Leeds. Sounds really stupid now but I thought it was the wind as we had really strong winds last night. We were asleep but it felt like the whole building shook, the wardrobe doors rattled!

Amazing!

Me too. I was woken and lay there for a few seconds with the bed swaying (it was definitely more than the vibration you'd get from a loud bang, more of a swaying feeling). Lasted for some seconds - long enough for me to think, and I quote "Wha'? Wassat? shoot, the wind's got up. shoot, suppose the chimney stack comes through the roof?" Once it had stopped I realised it couldn't have been a gust of wind, because of the swaying effect - surely the wind couldn't do that to a substantial Georgian terraced building, een if it rattled the windows a far bit. And I could hear something on the draining board rattling as well.

Freaked me out, I don't mind admitting. Lay awake for 40 minutes, wondering if it was my imagination or if I'd had some sort of fit, and whether I would email the BGS in the morning to find out if there'd been a tremor, and was just drifting off to the accompaniment of a World Service story on tax fraud in Lichstenstein, when the bloddy fridge motor kicked in and made me jump all over again!

Texted my sister as soon as I heard the news this morning and realised it WAS an earthquake, to find out if they'd felt it in Leicester. She was woken too, but Oli slept through the whole night - uncharacteristic for him! So she reackons there should be more earthquakes, although of course, she got woken anyway!

Very wierd feeling. Never been in an earthquake. I remember in Mexico two years ago, we saw the signs saying what to do in an earthquake, and I sort of wished there could be a little one, just for the experience. Never thought I'd get it in my own flat!

And I seem to remember hearing on QI that real scientists don't use the Richter scale any more, only journalists.

I was asleep. Also slept through the Dudley one. And once a fire alarm in a hotel. When I'm asleep, I'm ASLEEP.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Who's going to be the first to put up that joke email from the Dudley 'quake, about sending supplies of blue fizzy pop to the victims....?:thumbsup:

wafflycat

Arch said:
I was woken and lay there for a few seconds with the bed swaying (it was definitely more than the vibration you'd get from a loud bang, more of a swaying feeling).

I am resisting... I am resisting... must resist... must resist... :thumbsup::biggrin:

striker

felt it in north hertfordshire. gently shaking of bed. wife wasn't happy when I woke her to tell her! Claimed it was the beer talking!

Maz

Guru
Earthquake was pretty strong here in Leicester. Most peculiar sensation. Whole house was vibrating and furniture was creaking and groaning at the joints. Lasted about 10 seconds before it subsided I reckon.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Ah, that explains why I woke up around that time and had a terrible night's sleep... and I should be used to the things, seeing as that was rather pathetic by Japanese standards.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Flying_Monkey said:
Ah, that explains why I woke up around that time and had a terrible night's sleep... and I should be used to the things, seeing as that was rather pathetic by Japanese standards.

I just knew some exotic traveller would be along to diss our earthquake...:thumbsup:

Lay off - it's what a reporter described on the news this morning as "A Very British Earthquake". Understated, and not really all that effective, but has us talking for weeks....

wafflycat

There's a lot to be said for living in a place that is not on or near the edge of a tectonic plate. I'll happily settle for feeling the odd 5.3 thank you very much.

yenrod

I was not conscious - being asleep but did, like FM wake then the radio DJ was getting excited about it...

Then again, if the earth did move, for me, I PROBABLY wouldnt have told you lot :thumbsup:

Top Bottom