Earthquake!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Arch said:
Lay off - it's what a reporter described on the news this morning as "A Very British Earthquake". Understated, and not really all that effective, but has us talking for weeks....

Funniest thing straight after the dudley one - I used to live in the black country at the time. All my neighbours, in the street in their PJs shrieking in very very thick brummy accents 'oooooh did you hear the rumble'? PMSL...

yenrod

Yows roight there Kirst !

A 'brummoy' accent is sort of similar to australian accent !

I felt it, thought it was the wind at first, then realised it was an earthquake... Wasn't worried about the house falling down, more about the fact that my grumpy old neighbour from downstairs would blame me for the noise! :angry:

Maz

Guru
wafflycat said:
There's a lot to be said for living in a place that is not on or near the edge of a tectonic plate. I'll happily settle for feeling the odd 5.3 thank you very much.
Be careful. According to Alan Partridge, the whole of Norfolk will be submerged, what with the melting of the Polar ice-cap!

Shaun

Founder
I was just shutting down my laptop after an unhealthy several hours of COD4 when it struck (50 player FFA, fantastically manic :angry:!!).

The whole house shook (well, technically it's a bungalow at the moment until our proper gaff is fixed-up). Kitchen cupboards got flung open and our wardrobes made a heck of a noise being jostled about in the bedroom.

Felt like two separate 'booms' a few seconds apart - very disconcerting!!

I initially thought some local factory/plant had exploded but when I looked outside I couldn't see any plumes of smoke or anything.

Called the local non-emergency police number but was told it was too busy to take my call, so checked on Sky news where I saw the headline and realised what it was.

It's quite scary if you try to imagine the amount of energy needed to move a massive slab of an entire country - no competition really, mother nature wins every time!!! :angry:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Admin said:
Called the local non-emergency police number but was told it was too busy to take my call, so checked on Sky news where I saw the headline and realised what it was.

It always makes me chuckle when people, having survived uninjured and with property undamaged, then en masse decide to call the police. Chances are the earth moved for them too! (That said I suppose it's a fairly natural reaction.) If I were a chief constable I would issue the following orders to all police stations:

Action To Be Taken In The Event Of An Earthquake.

1. Take the phone off the hook.

2. Put the kettle and/or coffee machine on.

3. Drink resultant hot beverages for at least half an hour.

4. Put phone back on hook.

5. Carry on as usual.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Admin said:
It's quite scary if you try to imagine the amount of energy needed to move a massive slab of an entire country - no competition really, mother nature wins every time!!! :smile:

Absolutely.

Wasn't the only injury in Hull? Some lad with a broken pelvis when a chimney came down through his ceiling?

Just imagine what a really big one, like Kobe, or San Francisco, or Pakistan would be like to be in...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
ChrisKH said:
Felt in Twickenham by one of my colleagues.

I just thought it was the wife turning over in bed.

and what has your private life to do with earthquakes? :biggrin: :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Got woken up by the missus - she sat up as it started, I thought it was her jumping up that caused the bed to wobble, but it then carried on. I just said it's an earthquake, turned over and went back to sleep - it rattled the bed and wardrobe that's it - didn't think to check on the cats tucked up in the kitchen.

My son was disappointed that he had slept through it, so went round looking for items that may have fallen....

Some of the folk on the radio were saying how terrified they were - get real....

Arch

Married to Night Train
fossyant said:
Got woken up by the missus - she sat up as it started, I thought it was her jumping up that caused the bed to wobble, but it then carried on. I just said it's an earthquake, turned over and went back to sleep - it rattled the bed and wardrobe that's it - didn't think to check on the cats tucked up in the kitchen.

My son was disappointed that he had slept through it, so went round looking for items that may have fallen....

Some of the folk on the radio were saying how terrified they were - get real....

I was quite alarmed - alone in my flat, no idea what had happened, wondering if the chimney was going to come through the ceiling, wondering if it was real or if I was having some sort of fit or something. Perhaps I wouldn't say terrified, but my heart was pounding for some time, and friends I've spoken to today said the same.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I felt it and heard it. So i decided to turn over and go back to sleep.
I did think at the time it was an earthquake, we had one a couple of years ago, thought the neighbours chimney had fallen down at first though.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
It's a shame the dog is on her holidays as it would have been interesting to see if she had been acting funny before it happened as I was up and about at the time.

Plax

Guru
Apparently some people at work felt it (N Wales). Personally I slept through it. I've never experienced an earthquake as I can quite literally sleep through anything.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I haven't got a chimney...so not much to fall off !!! I'll accept worried, but to be terrified...it's a bit much...

We just don't get earthquakes that bad - the wind can cause more damage in the UK, and is far more regular...you don't see too many people carrying on about that.... our roof creaks (12 year old house) as the beams flex when it's windy... I initially thought it was a bit windy as it was gusty last night !

Top Bottom