Earthquake!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
well, my house is still standing. Undamaged. Was still up at the time, reading a popular cycle forum.
Very weird feeling for me, my house moving. Work on supply boats so used to workplace moving about a lot in a force 10, but never had the experience on land before.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Got the vibe here in Oxfordshire. Not long been to bed, just dozed-off and felt myself shaking...quick check to ensure that I was a) awake, :thumbsup: not having a Fit or a Heart-attack, c) the bed really was doing the shaking and d) that Mrs FF had not invited her Toy-Boy round for a bit of extra curricular whilst I snored (she hadn't).
Most weird sensation, have to say.

Monst

do I win £5?

MARKET RASEN QUAKE RELIEF FUND (GRIMSBY EARTHQUAKE APPEAL, MARKET RASEN EARTHQUAKE APPEAL)

At 01:00 on Wednesday 27 February, Britain's worst quake for 25 years hit Market Rasen, Lincolnshire measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale and causing untold disruption and distress. The tremor decimated the area causing approximately £30 worth of damage. Several priceless collections of mementoes from Cleethorpes were damaged beyond repair.

* Residents of Market Rasen and neighbouring Lincoln and Grimsby were woken well before their giros arrived
* Several priceless hedges were damaged
* Three areas of historically and scientifically significant litter were disturbed

Local radio stations reported thousands of people wandering confused and bewildered among the debris, trying to come to terms with the fact that something interesting has happened in Lincolnshire.

One Lincoln resident, Ashleigh-Marie Dutton, a 17 year old mother-of-three said "It was such a shock, little Chardonnay came running into my bedroom crying. My youngest two, Tyson-Morgan and Aguilera-Amy slept through it. I was still shaking when I was watching Trisha and Kilroy later that morning." Apparently though, looting did carry on as normal. The British Red Cross have so far managed to ship 800 crates of Sunny Delight to the area to help the stricken masses. Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings including Benefit Books and jewellery from Elizabeth Duke at Argos and bone china from Poundland.

HOW YOU CAN HELP
This appeal is to raise clothing and food parcels for those unfortunate enough to be caught up in it. Clothing is most sought after. Items required include blankets for stricken racehorses at the Market Rasen track and baseball caps, hoodies and other clothing from TKMaxx.

£5 buys a fish dinner and blue pop for a family of four
£10 can take a family to Cleethorpes for the day
25p buys a biro for filling in a spurious compensation claim
£20 buys Grimsby Town FC

PLEASE ACT NOW!!!!
Simply email us by return with your credit card details and we'll do the rest! If you prefer to donate cash, there are collection points available at your local branches of Argos, Aldi and Clinton Cards. Please do not send tents for shelter, as Market Rasen racecourse will not allow camping.

The epicentre of this tremor was Market Rasen at 0058 on Wednesday 27th Feb 2008. The magnitude was originally given as 5.3, but later amended to 5.2. Cleethorpes is a nearby seaside town. Media reports of injury/damage included a man with a broken pelvis after bedroom ceiling collapse and a budgie falling off its perch. It was the 3rd most powerful tremor recorded in the UK since the 1930s and the most powerful in almost 25 years.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Despite living only a few miles from the epicentre, Attrick Towers still stands. Cor, the old bed quivering in the early hours took my memory back to when Mrs Attrick was but a young bit of totty. Mind you, soon got back to the serious business of kipping when the excitement died down.

Renard

Monst said:
do I win £5?

MARKET RASEN QUAKE RELIEF FUND (GRIMSBY EARTHQUAKE APPEAL, MARKET RASEN EARTHQUAKE APPEAL)

At 01:00 on Wednesday 27 February, Britain's worst quake for 25 years hit Market Rasen, Lincolnshire measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale and causing untold disruption and distress. The tremor decimated the area causing approximately £30 worth of damage. Several priceless collections of mementoes from Cleethorpes were damaged beyond repair.

* Residents of Market Rasen and neighbouring Lincoln and Grimsby were woken well before their giros arrived
* Several priceless hedges were damaged
* Three areas of historically and scientifically significant litter were disturbed

Local radio stations reported thousands of people wandering confused and bewildered among the debris, trying to come to terms with the fact that something interesting has happened in Lincolnshire.

One Lincoln resident, Ashleigh-Marie Dutton, a 17 year old mother-of-three said "It was such a shock, little Chardonnay came running into my bedroom crying. My youngest two, Tyson-Morgan and Aguilera-Amy slept through it. I was still shaking when I was watching Trisha and Kilroy later that morning." Apparently though, looting did carry on as normal. The British Red Cross have so far managed to ship 800 crates of Sunny Delight to the area to help the stricken masses. Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings including Benefit Books and jewellery from Elizabeth Duke at Argos and bone china from Poundland.

HOW YOU CAN HELP
This appeal is to raise clothing and food parcels for those unfortunate enough to be caught up in it. Clothing is most sought after. Items required include blankets for stricken racehorses at the Market Rasen track and baseball caps, hoodies and other clothing from TKMaxx.

£5 buys a fish dinner and blue pop for a family of four
£10 can take a family to Cleethorpes for the day
25p buys a biro for filling in a spurious compensation claim
£20 buys Grimsby Town FC

PLEASE ACT NOW!!!!
Simply email us by return with your credit card details and we'll do the rest! If you prefer to donate cash, there are collection points available at your local branches of Argos, Aldi and Clinton Cards. Please do not send tents for shelter, as Market Rasen racecourse will not allow camping.

The epicentre of this tremor was Market Rasen at 0058 on Wednesday 27th Feb 2008. The magnitude was originally given as 5.3, but later amended to 5.2. Cleethorpes is a nearby seaside town. Media reports of injury/damage included a man with a broken pelvis after bedroom ceiling collapse and a budgie falling off its perch. It was the 3rd most powerful tremor recorded in the UK since the 1930s and the most powerful in almost 25 years.

No because it was just a particularly violent fart.

Now if you could rename your appeal the 'Market Rasen Fart Relief Fund'...

Arch

Married to Night Train
fossyant said:
I haven't got a chimney...so not much to fall off !!! I'll accept worried, but to be terrified...it's a bit much...

We just don't get earthquakes that bad - the wind can cause more damage in the UK, and is far more regular...you don't see too many people carrying on about that.... our roof creaks (12 year old house) as the beams flex when it's windy... I initially thought it was a bit windy as it was gusty last night !

Well, perhaps that fact that we're used to the wind, and not to earthquakes is why people were saying they were terrified? I agree, there's a lot of hyperbole about these days, but just because you're a cool calm devil-may-care sort, doesn't mean some people might have been really scared... The fact that I lay awake for an hour, heart pounding, wondering what the heck had happened, suggests that I experienced a degree of adrenalin rush, and I'm not the most nervous person in the world.

And I do have a chimney, and am on the top floor, so if it had come through the roof, I'd probably be buried under it still...

Arch

Married to Night Train
BTW, if anyone wants to help the BGS out in their research, there's a survey to fill in:

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/questionnaire/EqQuestIntroA.html

Talking to my Mum last night, what I felt was quite different to what they felt in Leicester - I got a swaying feeling, and a noise like a high wind (as did a friend just ourside York), while they got a rapid juddering shaking and a more thundery noise. I'm guessing it's partly down to the type of bedrock and subsoil and so on?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Kirstie said:
We certainly did....we are on clay here...

yeah, whereas, I'm on.. um, some sort of soil... Not clay, anyway. Probably more silty.

Oh saw a thing in the paper today, apparently there was an earthquake in 15something, epicentre in the English Channel, that caused bits to fall off the old St Pauls and other London churches. And if the same magnitude struck today, it would liquify the soil under London, playing havoc with the deep foundations...

Top Bottom