Easy ham in a slow cooker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
Probably a numpty question.
But can i just put a gammon joint in the slow cooker and cook for X amount of hours to make ham? Or is some sort of liquid necessary?
I just want a plain ham, nothing fancy really. Any tips for an easy slow cooker ham "recipe" would be appreciated.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd put a splash of water in... but not much as there'll be plenty in the gammon already.

But can i just put a gammon joint in the slow cooker and cook for X amount of hours to make ham? Or is some sort of liquid necessary?
I just want a plain ham, nothing fancy really. Any tips for an easy slow cooker ham "recipe" would be appreciated.
BBC food has a dead simple recipe for what they call Honey 'Roast' ham, and I've used it multiple times. usually doing it ith mustard instead. Basically you cook the ham in the slow cooker with a small amount of liquid for about 6 hours (or significantly longer if you want it like a 'pulled' ham - a US abomination IMO as ham should slice and not be shreddable) then dice through the rind, brush it with a coating and slam it in a hot oven for the outside to crisp up and give the 'traditional' finish. Works like a charm every time. If you just want it sliced, you don't need to bother with the end step but if you want to have the finished item 'on display' the few minutes it takes to gussy it up at the end and slam it in the hot oven is well worth the time spent, people will think you've been slaving in the kitchen for days on end!
Here's the full recipe link: Slow cooker gammon recipe - BBC Food

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Should be absolutely fine. I would actually slow-cook it immersed in cheap dry white wine (bring to the boil before adding) with a good handful of bay leaves, herbes de provence, and a couple of rosemary twigs. When you throw away the liquid before eating, most of the fat should go with it and those herbs will make it divine. Enjoy.

If you cook it without any liquid at all, in effect all you will be doing is drying it out and warming it up, in a rather nasty way. And you'll probably ruin your slow cooker ...
Your choice of liquid of course. Water, lots of, then tip away and replace (with a smaller volume of near-boiling water from the kettle, or other more 'tasteful' liquid) at the half-way point if you suspect the ham might be too salty, or you just want to reduce any risk of saltiness. Cider is a good choice of cooking liquid for anything pork, along with herbs/spices of your choice. And the slam into a hot oven with a glaze or other appropriate 'finish' if you want it to be a table centrepiece and visually impressive.

Just make sure your slow cooker is large enough!

You will need to use liquid, else the ham will be much too salty. Plus, in a slow cooker, you'll end up with the equivalent of pulled ham hock, which isn't so useful if you want slices. A proper ham isn't difficult to do.

Put the gammon a pan, add water to cover, and bring to the boil. Let it simmer for about 5 mins, then take off the heat and discard the water. Then draw fresh water, put the gammon in along with some peeled chopped carrots, a few sticks of celery, a quartered onion, lots of black pepper and two or three bay leaves. Bring to the boil and then let simmer for about an hour to an hour and a half, depending on the size of the gammon. Drain, then put in a roasting tin. Carefully, remove the skin, and then score the fat into diamonds. Stud each with a clove if you want, and glaze with a mix of honey and mustard. Half an hour in a hot oven should do it.

Don't discard the stock, it'll make fantastic soup.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Yes pea and ham soup :hungry:

Landsurfer

Veteran
You will need to use liquid, else the ham will be much too salty. Plus, in a slow cooker, you'll end up with the equivalent of pulled ham hock, which isn't so useful if you want slices. A proper ham isn't difficult to do.

Put the gammon a pan, add water to cover, and bring to the boil. Let it simmer for about 5 mins, then take off the heat and discard the water. Then draw fresh water, put the gammon in along with some peeled chopped carrots, a few sticks of celery, a quartered onion, lots of black pepper and two or three bay leaves. Bring to the boil and then let simmer for about an hour to an hour and a half, depending on the size of the gammon. Drain, then put in a roasting tin. Carefully, remove the skin, and then score the fat into diamonds. Stud each with a clove if you want, and glaze with a mix of honey and mustard. Half an hour in a hot oven should do it.

Don't discard the stock, it'll make fantastic soup.
I remove the skin / fat / rind and smother with golden syrup before baking .... but otherwise this sounds good ...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I slow cook mine in Coca Cola and then add a honey mustard glaze for am hour in a hot oven. Have tried using a pressure cooker too, but dor some reason that was not as good.

My mother would never use marmalade in cooking.

It reminded her of the war when there was no sugar and cooks had to use marmalade as the 'sugar' in cakes and other recipes calling for it.

Hmm... Marmalade bread & butter pudding... :hungry:

That strikes me as odd, as marmalade was notoriously hard to get in wartime if my assorted books on the "Kitchen Front" are anything to go by. Likewise actual oranges - those were for the children only.

However, I do have a recipe for mock marmalade, which is actually very nice. I made it a while back to satisfy my curiosity, and have made it several times since. It's made from orange peels and cooking apples and is somewhat sweeter and more mellow than pukka marmalade. Makes more sense to call it apple & orange jam.

T4tomo

Guru
Lots of liquid. As ham is salty, preferably bring it to the boil from cold, then discard that water and add fresh liquid: cider, cola wine all good and bring to boil and cook it in that, either in slow cooker or in a pan on the hob, gentle simmer.

Top Bottom