Easy Start Instrument

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Also bught this combo too

basssss.jpg

Plax

Guru
I went for Guitar. Don't get any old cheapo guitar though as that is akin to buying an Apollo at Halfords. It is likely to put you off as it will need constant tuning and not feel nice to play. Depends on your budget what to go for, but a decent beginners guitar won't break the bank and if you're short on cash/not sure you'll like it - Yamaha do good guitars you can pretty much play straight out of the box (tune it first of course!). Lots of free resources online e.g. justinguitar.com

I also have a keyboard but don't play that anymore in favour of my guitars. I found the basics very easy to pick up and it helped a lot with the music theory side of things. Quite a few free online resources for this as well, and with my keyboard (Casio) I got free online lessons.

One of my friends bought an Oboe for her mid life crisis. She seems to be enjoying it (but spent a fair few quid on getting a decent one after borrowing one from a tutor first). She used to play Violin at school.

Somebody suggested a Clarinet to me when I was trying to decide, but I wasn't keen on that idea, but apparently quite easy to learn.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My brother in law took up the bag pipes after retiring from the police,he plays ok now but for some time he was criminal..and needed aresting..
banjo ? Might be ok..bass guitar as said..

Ganymede

Veteran
I went for Guitar. Don't get any old cheapo guitar though as that is akin to buying an Apollo at Halfords. It is likely to put you off as it will need constant tuning and not feel nice to play. Depends on your budget what to go for, but a decent beginners guitar won't break the bank and if you're short on cash/not sure you'll like it - Yamaha do good guitars you can pretty much play straight out of the box (tune it first of course!). Lots of free resources online e.g. justinguitar.com

I also have a keyboard but don't play that anymore in favour of my guitars. I found the basics very easy to pick up and it helped a lot with the music theory side of things. Quite a few free online resources for this as well, and with my keyboard (Casio) I got free online lessons.

One of my friends bought an Oboe for her mid life crisis. She seems to be enjoying it (but spent a fair few quid on getting a decent one after borrowing one from a tutor first). She used to play Violin at school.

Somebody suggested a Clarinet to me when I was trying to decide, but I wasn't keen on that idea, but apparently quite easy to learn.
Don't play the oboe.

I speak as a former oboist.

To quote Eddie Izzard (who played it at school): "Playing the oboe is like blowing a weasel".

Plax

Guru
Don't play the oboe.

I speak as a former oboist.

To quote Eddie Izzard (who played it at school): "Playing the oboe is like blowing a weasel".

LOL, I've never been keen on any kind of woodwind type instrument. Probably because I was put off at school having to use shared flutes and recorders. All that spit from other people - ugh! Sure they probably aren't allowed to inflict this kind of torture at school anymore on health and safety grounds.

Ganymede

Veteran
LOL, I've never been keen on any kind of woodwind type instrument. Probably because I was put off at school having to use shared flutes and recorders. All that spit from other people - ugh! Sure they probably aren't allowed to inflict this kind of torture at school anymore on health and safety grounds.
To be fair I did love it for a long time. We played in wind quintets and stuff, and I was in the youth orchestra. But oboes eff with your breathing, most pro oboists are mad as hatters, and my mouth is really the wrong shape. It spoiled my breathing for singing, which is my real thing and which I do now.

I love playing the recorder - if you get fairly good at it, it is a fun ensemble instrument. You kinda hafta like anything Baroque or earlier though! (which I do). We used to play this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw0CFbzPHDE
- made the school buy a bass recorder specially (looks like a junior bassoon!).

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Uke is a good one as it also helps if you want to go on to guitar (so my kids uke teacher said), our kid has been playing uke for a few years now, currently working towards Grade 4.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Saxophone.

It's easy to play a tune, makes a righteous noise and can be used for all kinds of music: popular, jazz, classical, folk, rock, blues etc.

compo

Veteran
I play harmonicas. I have been playing for nearly 55 years. I even stop for breath now and then. I started on a simple diatonic Hohner and moved onto a chromatic. They are not difficult to play, you don't need to read music and you can carry your instrument in your pocket.

Top Bottom