Easy Start Instrument

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I taught myself to play the recorder when I early retired some 8 1/2 yrs ago. I started with the Treble or, more correctly Alto, (The Descant recorder, the one usually associated with small children at school is far too shrill IMHO.) then moved to the Bass, a large instrument with a very pleasing tone. I also have a Sopranino, the size smaller than the descant for when I want to really annoy the neighbours!

I play purely for my own pleasure and have thoroughly enjoyed learning to do something new. I stuck to these three of the family because their fingering is the same, the others in the recorder family read slightly differently on the page so I avoided them.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have a guitar, a nice Yamaha F370BL, its a starter one, but I think it sounds nice. It was bought for my birthday about 6 years ago and I was having lessons for a while, then I stopped. Its been in its case ever since. Until this morning..... this thread has prompted me to get it and have a fiddle. I may even play the guitar later.

Yamaha_F370BL_Acoustic_Guitar_e.jpg

Its quite a nice thing for the money, less than £150 I think.

Edit: 135 of her majestys pounds on this site.

stephec

Legendary Member
I have been playing guitar for nearly 16 months now and I love it to bits. I play nearly every day (there are days that get away from me - or my hand is in a lot of pain) and am definitely getting there now. I have a great guitar teacher as well.

If you are looking to play guitar, there is a beginners course online (free) at Justin Sandercoe's site. Great for beginners. His youtube lessons are great. I have his beginners course book and the first of the songbooks to go alongside his site.

Hubster says that learning guitar was my mid life crisis. Cheeky sod. It's nice and easy to start and you don't need to spend a fortune on a guitar. Not as cheap as a harmonica or a recorder of course but the neighbours won't dislike you as much.

Does that mean he can have his sports car then? :smile:

stephec

Legendary Member
All this talk has made me want to dig out my banjo ukulele and try and imitate George Formby again, I've not touched it for about four months.

152l2

Clarinet?
My daughter (7yo) started playing the clarinet a year ago. She has just been asked to join the local schools orchestra.
I started to teach myself (with her help) at the same time and I dont think I am doing too badly. I am even thinking about having proper lessons.
I was never musical at school. I wasn't even allowed near the triangle.
The clarinet is a lovely sounding instrument. If I can get a sound out of it anyone can.
We are now a three clarinet house. :biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I found a purple anodized triangle while out riding my bicycle, one day.
That'll be the Bermuda one.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Does that mean he can have his sports car then? :smile:
No. He has a Takamine acoustic, an Epiphone Les Paul AND a Peavey Bass, not to mention his CX bike, his Boardman and his rather lovely sports estate car. He has plenty to keep him going. Anyhow, he won't fit his Greyhound in a wee two seater, without squashing him up.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
No. He has a Takamine acoustic, an Epiphone Les Paul AND a Peavey Bass, not to mention his CX bike, his Boardman and his rather lovely sports estate car. He has plenty to keep him going. Anyhow, he won't fit his Greyhound in a wee two seater, without squashing him up.
I'll say a bit of squashing will be needed to fit into a two-seater. But there are corrugations to help.
2003-08-25_Greyhound_bus.jpg

Top Bottom