Easy wheel replacements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My friend is looking to buy a rack for her Brompton and wants to upgrade the easy wheels to something a little more robust, does anyone have experience with after market replacements?

This is what happened to her old ones

Attachments

• 20231111_061625(1).jpg
    20231111_061625(1).jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 39

brommieinkorea

Those are the stock non-easy wheels, and they just saved the frame serious damage by giving like that. I would at least consider stock Brompton easy wheels as they're a little flimsy and might offer the same protection.

gizmo1994

That bike has had a serious bash at the back end to achieve that amount of damage to those wheels. But they saved the bike from serious damage in doing so. Replace them with the same or Brompton's own easy wheels which are slightly larger diameter but will still protect the frame.

shingwell

Did someone sit on the bike while folded eg. on a crowded train? I've done it and been ok (I have a rack so 4 wheels) but I have been warned this can happen.

This looks more like the consequence of a massive drop of the bike.

It might be, I don't know, I daren't ask. It was mine and she borrowed it a few times, she did some very creative folds and then dropped it down a staircase, so for my own sanity and the sake of our relationship I gave it to her and bought myself another.

Anyway, I bought the rack today and will stick with the standard roller wheels for now. I was looking at the Litepro wheels and seem to remember there was a company doing titanium replacements as well. Anybody have any experience of these?

berlinonaut

Veteran
I was looking at the Litepro wheels and seem to remember there was a company doing titanium replacements as well. Anybody have any experience of these?

As others have aready said: They will do more harm than good. If you are willing to sacrifice the Brompton for a little bling - your decision. But given that the wheels already safed the frame once it would in my eyes be a stupid idea to get rid of that safety line for a little bling.

A little bit of background about the wheels:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/project-m6l-to-m6r-on-a-budget.282618/page-2#post-6639948

Gunk

Guru
I’m after a replacement early style conical roller if anyone has one spare.

IMG_1161.jpeg

As others have aready said: They will do more harm than good. If you are willing to sacrifice the Brompton for a little bling - your decision. But given that the wheels already safed the frame once it would in my eyes be a stupid idea to get rid of that safety line for a little bling.

A little bit of background about the wheels:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/project-m6l-to-m6r-on-a-budget.282618/page-2#post-6639948

Okay, thanks, that has answered all my questions and more.

I shall use the wheels that come with the rack. They are the sensible choice.

Much appreciated!!!!!

Top Bottom