Easyroutes Android workaround???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shaun75

Über Member
I can't use easyroutes from my phone as it's iOS only. We have an iPad in the house and I've found the app easy to use, quick and of course it's free.
I'm about to buy a wahoo element bolt and have the following questions.
Following dcrainmakers advice I can export the route as a .fit file and then send it via email to my phone.
When I open it, it loads the route in komoot. I assume I can export this straight to the bolt for turn by turn directIons?
Failing that, when I use the bolts Android app will it give me an option to import my saved .fit file from email/drive?
Also can the bolt be used by an iOS device and an Android at the same time or does it just communicate with one at time? a

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I hadn't heard of easy routes till I read this thread so out of curiosity I googled. The third or fourth result was this blog article by DC Rainmaker. Your post made me feel the method you have in mind is more complex than necessary. I think this article answers your questions and gives a simpler alternative approach.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/quickly-creating-devices.html

If you use your chosen option once the route is in Komoot when you sync your Wahoo any new routes will be transferred to the Bolt - provided you have authorised this under Profile >Connected Apps >Komoot. It's the same for RWGPS etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shaun75

Über Member
Thanks Paul. That's the article where I discovered easy routes.
I know it sounds complicated but it's just an email from the iPad to the Android and then loading it into the bolt. Easyroutes is nice to use and I don't mind the extra few steps for the payoff of its simplicity.
I don't want to pay for rwgps as my planning will only be sporadic.
I guess I could send ER to the bolt directly, but then could I also use my Android to operate the bolt.
Guess I won't know until the bolt arrives and I can play about.
With komoot it offers me a free region when I choose to export a GPX. If I select this free region is that the only area I can plan routes within?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@shaun75 to be honest I'm not really following you on this one. If you use Komoot you won't load it on to the Bolt. When you sync the Bolt with your phone all the routes sync at the same time - this is the method to get routes from your chosen planner on to the Wahoo. I believe it's possible to attach a Wahoo to a laptop and import directly but why bother?

Create your route in ER >send to Komoot >sync Wahoo

I don't use Komoot so don't know about the pricing but it might be worth investigating what defines a region. Is it by country, continent????? RWGPS has a free version which I've always found perfectly adequare and its free worldwide.

Good luck

OP
OP
S

shaun75

Über Member
@shaun75
Create your route in ER >send to Komoot >sync Wahoo

That worked a treat Paul. Unfortunately turn by turn didn't import over...
but I've played around with komoot over the weekend and have now got used to their UI.
Done 2 50 mile rides, planned via komoot with turn by turn and everything was faultless. The Bolt is a nice little unit.
Cheers

Top Bottom