eating during a ride and/or stopping to eat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I find the SIS stuff gives me indigestion. After a while I crave real food, so I'll take a burger or Panini or a quick sarnie. Flap-jack, malt-loaf, jelly babies all good, but after a while I need something heavier and non-sweet to sit in my stomach.

jimboalee

Consider the kCals per MILE value doesn't change much with speed. In fact, on a cold day, it's less effiecient to ride slow.

I eat a good healthy meal the night before a ride OVER 100 km.
If it only 100, I may not need to eat anything during the ride.
If its 200, I'll stop and eat some pie or cakes three or four times during the ride.

Can't be having liquid food. Churns around in the stomach and makes me feel sick.

GrasB

Veteran
So what happened to...
jimboalee said:
Yup, sounds like you let the tanks run dry.

40 miles at 19 mph average is about enough for anyone.

If its a racebike, you might be burning 35 -40 kCals per mile. At that intensity, it'll be mostly carbs.
1600 kCals is a lot to carry as stored glycogen. 400g of pure energy in your blood and liver.

Anyway. Now you know when you bonk, so get another 600 - 1000 kCals down you well before 43 miles.
???

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
Consider the kCals per MILE value doesn't change much with speed. In fact, on a cold day, it's less effiecient to ride slow.

I eat a good healthy meal the night before a ride OVER 100 km.
If it only 100, I may not need to eat anything during the ride.
If its 200, I'll stop and eat some pie or cakes three or four times during the ride.

Can't be having liquid food. Churns around in the stomach and makes me feel sick.

So what happened to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboalee
Yup, sounds like you let the tanks run dry.

40 miles at 19 mph average is about enough for anyone.

If its a racebike, you might be burning 35 -40 kCals per mile. At that intensity, it'll be mostly carbs.
1600 kCals is a lot to carry as stored glycogen. 400g of pure energy in your blood and liver.

Anyway. Now you know when you bonk, so get another 600 - 1000 kCals down you well before 43 miles.

???

GrasB

Veteran
So it's a difference in rider & the style of riding? Fair enough. I wasn't being funny I was just wondering why they were different.

Yes I can make up the solutions & know the directions for use however it's more a case of how I use them within the context of my riding, diet etc.

Spud

If anybody is interested here is how to make:-
Isotonic drink (energy boost) - 200ml orange squash to 1000ml water , pinch of salt.
Hypotonic drink ( rehydrate) - 400ml orange squash to 1000ml water , pinch of salt.
Use the two in conjuction with a banana or nutty bar and it should get you through the day.

jimboalee

Here's a recipe for energy boost drink.

Make up some 'squash' with your favourite cordial. 1 bottle's worth.

Stir in and disolve potasium based table salt 5g.

Stir in and disolve glucose powder until no more can disolve ( saturated solution ).

lukesdad

I always carry raisins or sultanas in my back pocket and small square nana sarnies wrapped in cling and couple gels eat em an the hoof magic three course lunch and no need to stop.;):biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom