eating during a ride and/or stopping to eat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
I am sure it is out there somewhere, the answer,I am planning upton 5 hours tomorrow riding, last time i felt sick and deduced too much liquid or rather not enough solid food.
now to carry it is ok , but thinking abouit buying some whilst out. now what to buy should i stop and eat a sandwich? what would be a a good light lunch to buy. dont have time to stop for burgers and chips and a pint and dont really want to to, this will be a reasonable strenuous effort.

cheers enjoy the weather

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
i would just get a sandwhich, but i like to take it easy, take good half hour - 45mins to eat.

longers

Legendary Member
I find that my stomach dictates what I fancy when I'm riding, sweet, savoury or otherwise. Once had bad cravings for a chicken salad butty, ended up in KFC as I couldn't resist any longer and then rode past a nice bakery quarter of a mile down the road.

Grabbing a butty is quick and sitting down for beans on toast doesn't normally take too long either.

Having "something" in the back pocket is good for just in case.

Jonathan M

Eeek, I'd vomit eating something like a KFC when on the bike. Sadly I'm one of those people who gets an upset stomach/indigestion quite easily when riding, so I do tend to stick to relatively simple stuff that I know I'll digest on the go.

longers

Legendary Member
I usually carry some Rennies in case of emergencies.

I meant to add, if you know the route well, get fuelled up before any awkward bits but not too close to them. The cafe at Dunsop Bridge is perfectly placed for meeting my hunger pangs when going to Morecambe but not for climbing the Trough.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've started using SIS powder and I find it excellent. On the Cheshire 100 miler I increased the concentration after lunch and felt stronger and stronger as the ride went on.

Flapjacks or energy bars, bananas. I also use energy gels and SIS powder (camelbak if mtb/ bottle if on roadie)

If I stop anywhere its usually a coffee and a nice big chunk of cake. I find if you eat little and often then that does it for me. Same with drinking, drink before you get thirsty then little but often.

Jonathan M

longers said:
I usually carry some Rennies in case of emergencies.

I meant to add, if you know the route well, get fuelled up before any awkward bits but not too close to them. The cafe at Dunsop Bridge is perfectly placed for meeting my hunger pangs when going to Morecambe but not for climbing the Trough.

Gaviscon liquid single dose sachets for me!

yashicamat

Rigid Raider said:
I've started using SIS powder and I find it excellent. On the Cheshire 100 miler I increased the concentration after lunch and felt stronger and stronger as the ride went on.

I use this stuff too. I find that I don't need any solid food at all then, which is a bonus as there is no chance of indigestion as it's a liquid diet. I usually have a bottle with the SIS energy made up to the normal rate, then have another bottle with just juice in it, as I think the SIS stuff is probably a tad too rich to keep hydrated on (although I guess it could be watered down, but it's nice to have a change of drink).

veloking

I find something light like a croissant may really help you beat the bonk!! I am also a massive fan of the Cliff Chocolate chip bars that I Buy from Chain Reaction! I find the pastry from a croissant or a light muffin is very easy to digest and light on the stomach, whilst providing enough energy to keep you going!! Hope that helps!!

GrasB

Veteran
Rigid Raider said:
I've just won a load of SIS stuff :rolleyes:... I need to work out how to use the stuff now

Top Bottom