Eating pigeons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm sure some people do, but it's illegal to kill them. So it's probably a safer bet to get a bit of chicken from the butcher/supermarket than hunt pigeons in the park.

It isn't nearly as simple as "it's illegal to kill them".

There are circumstances under which they can be killed, under General Licence GL41 or GL42 (England), GL001 or GL002 (Wales), GL02 or GL03 (Scotland).

And if lawfully killed, wood pigeons (but not feral pigeons) can always be sold.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Woodpigeon is quite a dark meat, a bit like very lean beef in colour and texture. Needs either flash-frying so it is pink on the inside, or slow-cooker.

Pigeons are an agricultural pest which can cause serious damage to growing crops and are controlled only under a DEFRA general licence, so you can't just bop them off in the garden.

Drago

Legendary Member
EnxV1JqWEAEyWjv.jpg

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Best pub meal I ever had was braised Pigeon breasts in a black cherry sauce from the Old Red Lion in Upper Sheringham, Norfolk.
It wasn't expensive and was as good as anything a fancy restaurant would serve up.
Unfortunately, the pub was permanently closed when I went past it this time last year.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Tom Lehrer was rather partial to poisoning them:

View: https://youtu.be/yhuMLpdnOjY

Huh, beat me to it by a couple of mins!

Top Bottom