eBay best offers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I can't believe sellers are so rude that they won't reply to a best offer, even when that offer is fair. The offer was within 10% of what you could buy-it-now from a number of sellers but they just let the time lapse without responding. At least if it was a no then I could look elsewhere as until the time lapses the bidder is tied in

eBay should set it so that if the time lapses then the offer is automatically accepted as if the seller has time to advertise they should have time to respond

So if the seller is ill, or otherwise unable to access a computer or the internet. Or just perhaps ended up being busy, they should be forced to sell?

You can't force anybody to sell anything, even if you win the auction, there's nothing forcing them to complete the sale.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Id prefere it if people who bid and win Paid..

as for offers..a lot jus advertise and go back to it after auction ends..but i do think a reply is polite and only takes a moment

Levo-Lon

Guru
Got to say ebay has lost the plot ..i used it a lot ,over 500 sales..but they seem to be focussed on themselves now..and sellers have very little rights..

Wrong, surely. A bid and an offer are two very different things. An offer doesn't commit you to anything.
Neither does a bid. The commitment is when you send the seller cash.

OP
OP
Kevoffthetee

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Wrong, surely. A bid and an offer are two very different things. An offer doesn't commit you to anything.
If you bid, then you are committed to the deal until e seller rejects that offer. He can wait until the last minute to accept or decline so if I bought something else then they accepted I've got to fulfil the offer.

If you bid, then you are committed to the deal until e seller rejects that offer. He can wait until the last minute to accept or decline so if I bought something else then they accepted I've got to fulfil the offer.

Not really. If I already bid, or entered an offer, and they take too long to reply I just go buy elsewhere. Worse case scenario, they accept, you don't send them money, it gets cancelled.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
A lot of Best Offer levels are automated - i.e. there will be a set amount at which a Best Offer will be accepted. If your Best Offer isn't accepted then it's simply that you haven't offered enough for that seller. It's not 'rude' if they don't reply to any and every offer personally. No-one is entitled to a bargain. Live, learn and go elsewhere.

Neither does a bid. The commitment is when you send the seller cash.

My understanding regarding standard auction format (not offers ) is that if the bid is the winning bid (highest), the ebay rules are that payment must be made, so I would deem the highest bid to be the point of commitment. Hence, this is how some buyers end up with unpaid item strikes against their account, because they don`t send the money after committing to do so.

vickster

Legendary Member
So they could get bad feedback or banned from eBay. It's not a criminal offence afaik

eBay only care ultimately because they miss out on their cut

Top Bottom