Ebay - Disasterous purchase!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

And yet this guy has nearly 2000 positives. Bizarre. You can spoil his feedback record of course, a seller can’t leave a buyer negative feedback so you can't get a tit-for-tat. I wonder if you could link this thread in your feedback?

Don't bank on eBay sorting it out either. I once bought an item described as brand new, never used, etc etc. It was soiled, obviously used, scratched and just loose in its cardboard box with all the retaining packing missing. After the seller said get lost I complained to eBay who said get the item checked over by an "expert", and provide a written report on a business letterhead. As if. Fortunately it was a low value item.

298 positive feedbacks.
It clearly wasn't his bike, it was the wrong size for him / he didn't know anything about it.

I'm quite willing to accept that he was miss-lead by his friend about the bikes condition and if I leave negative feedback or not will depend a lot upon how tonight goes.

If he appologises and and gives me a refund then I will probably wont leave any feedback.

If argues before issuing a refund then I will probably leave a neutral feedback.

If I don't get a refund then he'll get negative feedback and I will start a complaint. .

e-rider

crappy member
The ebay listing has all the signs to start alarm bells ringing eg. selling for friend, don't know much about bikes etc.

You paid cash - bad mistake! If the seller refuses to refund cash if you ask him, I believe there is nothing that you can do.

Paypal would issue a charge-back to the seller (basically they would take the money off him whether he liked it or not) if the item doesn't match the description, but as you paid cash you can't follow this avenue.

1. I would ask the seller nicely for a refund (I doubt that will work though)
2. Complain to ebay (probably not get you far)
3. Be more careful next time!

and as a side note - you paid way way way too much for this bike even if it was in good condition!!!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Your strong argument is the fact that the "lethal" cracked frame had the crack hidden by paint. Anything else could (though prob not cheaply) be repaired. If someone sells something that is dangerous then you have a clear comeback. If he argues then trading standards should back you (I'd have thought).

Can you retract negative feedback, if the seller makes amends? I ask because 'neg' is possibly very damaging to a seller. At least, whenever I make an Ebay bid, I invariably search out the seller's 'neg's before the next step, just in case. Usually they're innocuous complaints: "wrong item shipped" etc. etc... But a 'neg' like the one you're probably tempted to put, would certainly stop me in my tracks...

e-rider

crappy member
Your strong argument is the fact that the "lethal" cracked frame had the crack hidden by paint. Anything else could (though prob not cheaply) be repaired. If someone sells something that is dangerous then you have a clear comeback. If he argues then trading standards should back you (I'd have thought).

not on ebay - this is not a brand new item from a retailer!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
[/b]not on ebay - this is not a brand new item from a retailer!

Surely if something is sold as "in good working order" and it turns out to be almost deadly to ride then you have a comeback. It's for this reason you don't see many gas cookers for sale second hand (can't guarrantee not leaking) and can't give old three piece suites away to charity shops (no fire safety cert). You can't sell "cut and shut" motors. Any car that has been written off even if proffessionally repaired has to be sold as such. A bike with a cracked frame could be just as lethal if ridden unknowing.

Norm

Surely if something is sold as "in good working order" and it turns out to be almost deadly to ride then you have a comeback.
You might have a come back but the bit which tundragumski highlighted wasn't about whether or not there was any come back but your assertion that a Trading Standards Unit should back the complaint.

Trading Standards are there to protect consumers' rights against traders, they will have little concern for an auction transactions between two individuals.

soulful dog

Veteran
Ouch - good luck with trying to get this sorted, though I don't hold out a lot of hope that either ebay or the seller will be willing to do a lot.

If you can take the hit in the pocket without too much concern, try not to get too hung up on it, as others have said just take it on the chin and learn the lesson. 

awfulquiet

Good luck.. hope the seller is at least honest...

Have my doubts though, usually if they are dishonest to begin with, they are reluctant to give back money when discovered...

Inform the guy in writing or contact him through eBay.

If no success then contact eBay.

If still no success I would pop in to see a local solicitor and ask his advice re a small claims court action.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
The ebay listing has all the signs to start alarm bells ringing eg. selling for friend, don't know much about bikes etc.

You paid cash - bad mistake! If the seller refuses to refund cash if you ask him, I believe there is nothing that you can do.

Paypal would issue a charge-back to the seller (basically they would take the money off him whether he liked it or not) if the item doesn't match the description, but as you paid cash you can't follow this avenue.

1. I would ask the seller nicely for a refund (I doubt that will work though)
2. Complain to ebay (probably not get you far)
3. Be more careful next time!

and as a side note - you paid way way way too much for this bike even if it was in good condition!!!

Saved me writing all that :tongue:

I don't think that missing the problems when you collected the bike is the issue here. Your biggest mistake was paying in cash. Via paypal you could get a refund. Speak to the seller, if he is honest person and genuine in his description he'll understand and try to solve the situation. Good luck anyway!

Forgot to say! ALWAYS ALWAYS and ALWAYS contact the other part through the e-Bay message system. Never do any transaction or communication outside ebay system.. NEVER!

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

I have my refund.

The seller didn't want to know or provide me with a refund but he did give me the address of his friend / the bikes owner.

The 'friend' was selling it for his son. Being a kids bike explains the botched repairs /the condition. When the faults were pointed out to the father he gave me a refund instantly and appologised for thr mis-leading advert.

Top Bottom