Ebay - Disasterous purchase!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
That's great news - all's well that ends well etc, etc, etc.......

Well done, at least you've got yourself sorted.

Whether the 'vendor' still needs a rap on the knuckles, for offering something for sale - even if 'for a friend' - without checking that it's safe and of merchantable quality - well maybe this needs some thought. Ebay doesn't want rogue traders, but this may be a one-off as far as this guy is concerned. Might be worth consulting Ebay as to whether they have any policy on this.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Great result! Actually seriously great result. I had something similar a few years back. Bought a Yamaha bass on eBay via PayPal. Dad selling for son. Son told Dad bass was fine. Bass was trashed and the electrics needed to be rebuilt. simple to do but a pita. Dad gave me my money back and told me to keep the bass to teach his son a lesson for making a fool of him! When he refunded me I paypal-ed him 50% of the original price. Dunno if the son ever saw those pictures of the Queen.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Great news - I thought you'd probably seen the last of that money!

PS Didn't you sell all of your bikes a couple of weeks ago because you weren't supposed to ride for 6 months due to injury? ;)

Percy

Interesting reading. This actually says more to me about Decathlon bikes and their quality than it does Ebay and its inherent problems. I've used many bikes for countless years without any of them developing that many faults.

Good work on getting the refund though.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Yep. My bikes all went on ebay/ on facebook etc. They were all single speed/fixed wheel bikes or carbon race jobbies. As I can't cope with large gears or high cadences they wernt exactly much use.

My physio made the mistake last week of recommending that I ride for 10mins or so a day as part of my strengthening exercises. I'm really struggling on any incline with a road bike so I was planning to buy this mtb and use it with slick tyres

Apparently I'm still looking at 6 months + before I will be able to ride properly

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Interesting reading. This actually says more to me about a Decathlon bikes and their its quality than it does Ebay and its inherent problems. I've used many bikes for countless years without any of them developing that many faults.

Good work on getting the refund though.

Fixed that for you.

Any neglected and abused bike will have that many faults.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm really pleased and surprised at the result - I thought your money was gone. Me (wanting to believe the best of the seller), I don't think he knew/understood, and chances are neither did the Dad. I've seen some of my friends' kids really trash their bikes - the key is realising they have done so and making them pay for the next bike/repair.

Glad to hear that you seem to have been given a Get out of Jail card with regards to riding a bike too.

Percy

Fixed that for you.

Any neglected and abused bike will have that many faults.

You're too kind.

It seems I'm getting older than I thought I was though because I'm about to say, 'We never used to have that many problems with them when I was a kid.' There - I've said it. We didn't either - and we certainly abused and neglected them back then too. Perhaps it's more indicative of budget bikes these days than that particular shop. Or maybe I was just lucky with bike choices when I was a kid.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Budget?
I don't know how much this bike was new (£1000?) but these were not cheap parts.
It had a Sram x9 groupset which was xt level and the forks were rockshoxs top end reba forks.
It had been ridden into the ground and never properly maintained. Look at the saddle, that visually shows the owners ability to fit and adjust parts

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
:wahhey: :bravo: :wahhey: :hyper: Fantastic result. :bravo::hyper: :bravo: :cheers: :wahhey:

This shows that when an ad says "local pickup only" it's a good idea to do that rather than pay for a courier. You at least know where to go to get something done if there is a problem.
Regarding the state of kids bikes nowadays. When I was a kid they weren't as complex as modern bikes. Split links, Sturmey Archers that went on forever. A rub with chrome cleaner on the wheels every month or when your dad saw the state of your bike was enough. Run the oil can over the chain. Mend the fairy presents. All this was character building. :angel:

Kids now know if it's broke they can have another next Christmas or Birthday (whichever comes first). My GF's oldest borrowed my old Saracen when his bike died a few years ago. Within the week I had no mudguards (he'd spun on the brakes, come off and trashed them) and tyres were shot from him skidding sideways to a halt. He never replaced guards (old ESGE's that had been on for 20 years no problem) or tyres. I now have SPD's so he can't use any of my bikes (not the reason but result is what I want). :becool:

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

On a side note. Several people have mentioned that I paid too much for the bike.
Just out of interest, what do you think it's worth? (If it had of been in good condition that is).

I sold a set of Reba forks on there own just a few days ago for about £150 (I think?) and an xt groupset, which is the equivalent of x9 on this bike for £120.

Top Bottom