Ebay Issue, Any Views?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I sold a turntable for my elderly father on Ebay. There was lots of interest and multiple bids. As it is a very delicate and quite rare bit of hi fi equipment I stated collection only. I got a message from the winner this morning asking for an invoice for the full cost and asking me to make sure it was well packed due to the delicate nature of the bearings. He is in Lithuania! Looking at his feedback he trades in hifi equipment, but I really don't want to send it. If I say sorry mate but the advert clearly said collection only and sell it to an under bidder or relist the item, can he leave me negative feedback? I am tempted to do a second chance offer to the under bidder.
Thanks.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I dare say he's above board given what you describe, but a "polite sorry, collection only" is perfectly reasonable.

That said, my uncle sold a quite novel pick up arm to someone in the far east, for an astonishing sum, then got nervous, but all was well and he was indeed a grand better off ! But that's a small item, easily packed and posted, not a turntable.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If he's looking at courier to Lithuania then you're in your right to say "sorry, this was collection only". Or "how are you looking to collect this?"

It would depend upon his feedback and I have sent delicate items overseas but I'm always nervous about it.

I'd recommend a second chance offer.

stearman65

Firstly, are you sure the add reads correctly in the postage section, it should say "no postage collection only" after using the drop down arrow to change from a postage deal. If it is correct, you should have clarified with the high bidder he was going to collect before the auction ended & cancelled his bid if he was expecting delivery. If he made a last minute bid, he is coming the old soldier. IMO you are quite within your rights to cancel his bid & offer to the next highest bidder. In this instance if you do that he can't leave bad feedback.

Next time, adjust your selling preferences to exclude overseas buyers.
This. You're probably still enrolled on the international seller program that ebay run. I did a similar thing when it was first introduced and I hadn't opted out. Just cancelled the bid, opted out and started again.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

The ad said collection only in the postage bit and I reiterated that in the verbage of the listing. I don't sell much on Ebay so didn't know about the overseas buyer bit. Think I will do the second chance offer and send a nice message to the Lithuanian chap.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
you stated in your listing that it was collection only, ask the chap from Lithuania if he willing to collect as per the listing and if not you will relist or 2nd chance offer.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

I have sent him a message and done the second chance offer. The under bidder has paid and is collecting on Sunday AM so all seems good. The winner has just sent a message I think saying he understands, although his English is a bit broken. So it looks like all is good. Thanks people.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I sold some Victorian glassware to a bidder in Liverpool, about 40 miles west of here and despite my best efforts to pack it, something got smashed.

D

Deleted member 26715

You have no legal reason to sell it to him, you still own it, despite Fleecebay's best attempts to convince people otherwise it is a marketplace not an auction. Politely advise the buyer that you have clearly stated 'collection only' and that you are not prepared to post it to him, he can if he wishes have it collected in person by somebody else as long as it's a cash sale, but that you will not be packaging it up for carriage. Then ask him to request to cancel the sale.

U

User33236

Some years ago my wife sold some old audio gear, clearly listed as collection only, which was won by a guy from Poland. She got a message shortly after from the bloke saying his bother, who worked nearby, was picking is up as he was travelling home that weekend to visit family.

I also have a colleague who sold stuff to a bloke in Romania who has his own 'courier' to pick stuff up. Turns out is a 'man with a van' who wanders found the northwest picking up stuff for him.

Point being not all potential buyers outside the UK require the seller to ship.

D

Deleted member 26715

DO NOT allow him to pay via Paypal & then collect, collection equals cash only

Top Bottom