Ebay question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Yesterday evening I put in a bid on a Sturmey hub on ebay and won the auction. I paid with Paypal. Everything seemed normal.

This morning, I had an email from the seller saying that a problem with Ebay stopped people from bidding (how come I could bid?) and he isn't sending the item but will refund me instead. Can he do that? It's true the price I paid was less than I would normally expect an AG hub to sell for but from my point of view, I bid in good faith and was the highest bidder, I paid for it, therefore my hub and please send it too me ASAP.

Sounds like sharp-practice but "can he do that?"... well, he just did.

You could report it but that will achieve nothing; the seller will simply claim the item is no longer available for whatever reason (the usual one they give when the winning bid was not high enough for them is "it was nicked").

ohnovino

Large Member
After the refund you should still be able to leave negative feedback - that'll discourage them from trying the same trick again.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I won a telly once at a very good price, and you'll never guess...that very evening her careless daughter spilled a cup of tea in the back and it was irreparably knackered. Well I never. But as has been said, there's bugger all you can do really.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It does occur to me that his 'a problem with ebay' story does potentially offer an in. You could contact ebay, who would doubtless be able to confirm that there was no such problem, and might take up your cause if only in umbrage at the suggestion - and taking on ebay is a bit different from taking on one distant individual - but at the end of the day, if he's determined, and willing to live with bad feedback, that's pretty much that.

Andrew_P

In between here and there

Top Bottom