Ebay Seller Using Your Address

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Same in Nigeria. It's very common to see daubed on a wall: "This house is not for sale. Beware 419".

The family of my colleague in Lagos owns lots of valuable land around the city, which they bought for pocket money when they returned from Brazil in the 50s and Lagos was a tiny fishing village. The problem is that they can't prove it as deeds didn't exist.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I did warn you about selling your soul to the devil.

(I hope this gets resolved. This is terrible. Some people have no conscience.)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've got a hunch that's not going to happen.
It's as if the scammers knew that Classic was a regular poster on a cycling forum, isn't it?

I might be a bit too naive here, but I can't quite work out the scam. Can you help me join the threads as to how, if you're a scammer handling stolen goods it's a good idea to set an appointment with a buyer and then just not turn up?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
That's a new one ! :ohmy: What did the police say ?

So what is happening? I'm curious as to how this scam works ?
Last bike seen being sold, he'd just turned up, with the bike, which he had in the van. Pre-arranged time maybe, parking on the road and getting the bike out for the buyer.

The last one I'm aware off was the one described earlier. It's possible they turned up early, and tried the house, with a light being on inside.

One account reported and no longer active, having reported it. Still the bikes are being sold. Unless the police have evidence, camera footage doesn't show frame numbers. Then it remains a civil action, nothing for them to get involved with. One reason for phoning them when someone turned up to pay for the bike I didn't have.

The pictures seen had the bike on the drive. Which is again a civil action, were taken in daylight. He just propped the bike against the wall and took the pictures. No actual damage done means no police involvement.

The bikes belonged to someone other than the seller, but none reported as stolen, locally, match those I've seen sold.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I might be a bit too naive here, but I can't quite work out the scam. Can you help me join the threads as to how, if you're a scammer handling stolen goods it's a good idea to set an appointment with a buyer and then just not turn up?
It's quite simple. You turn up with a van with the stolen bikes in it, and hang around the driveway long enough to ensure you don't miss the sale (allowing a bit of leeway for unpunctuality on the part of the buyer), and long enough for the whole transaction to be observed by the occupant of the house you are pretending to live in, but not long enough for him to take any pictures of it or to emerge from the house and tell you to bugger off. Then you do it all again the next day.

Can you borrow a 50 ton Challenger tank and park it on your drive? If you see the van turn up but don't have time to start it just turn the smoke on which will allow you time to start it and flatten the van !

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I now of at least 1 of my previous bikes that is being sold on e bay using the photo's i took of it when i sold it

I messaged the seller asking him to use some of his own , didn't even get a reply

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It doesn't sound like an entirely implausible scam

Prop bike up against someone's house. Use photo to advertise on eBay with that house address. Buyer contacts seller and seller arranged "off eBay" sale. Buyer is reasonably relaxed as "the bike is obviously at that address, right?". He can look on google maps and see that the address and the photo match. T/f the readies and goes to pick up the bike......

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's quite simple. You turn up with a van with the stolen bikes in it, and hang around the driveway long enough to ensure you don't miss the sale (allowing a bit of leeway for unpunctuality on the part of the buyer), and long enough for the whole transaction to be observed by the occupant of the house you are pretending to live in, but not long enough for him to take any pictures of it or to emerge from the house and tell you to bugger off. Then you do it all again the next day.
Of course. Though surely the risk of a psychdelic camper van turning up with a cowardly hound to unmask you is a bit high, isn't it?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That's an odd one; someone must know you have bikes there? I'd presume they're fairly local and know your routines, otherwise what has happened may do so more often.

Police, camera as stated previously. Some of your neighbours must have security cameras you could check? The difficulty I'd guess is knowing when the eBay photos were taken.

Last edited:
Top Bottom