eBay shenanigans and thwarted buying frenzy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the stupid one

Über Member
I sold a rather heavy yet mechanically delicate item on eBay on Sunday night, listed as collection only. I set a start price of £500 and was delighted that the winning bid more than doubled that, so spent a few hours after the close of the auction searching the 'Bay and Gumtree and here for something preloved and two-wheeled.

~~~backstory~~~
This time last year I was on sick leave with a back injury, and getting bike-enthused again.
I've spent the whole time since then shortlisting bikes for when I got back to work, but the redeployment procedure didn't work out and I was terminated in September.
Still looking for work, still wanting a bike.
I thought that now - with the proceeds of the sale - I could get a second-hand drop-bar road bike and see how I get on with it before maybe buying a new one when things are looking up.
~~~~~~
I found a few possibles, my fingers were itching to pull the trigger on something, then the buyer decided to let me know that picking up their new toy was a bit of a problem.
So the current state of play is that we're trying to organise something, I'm not going to demand immediate payment because I'm really quite lovely, and I'm being driven mad with bike lust every time I go online.
Which is, let's face it, nearly all the bloody time!
It's probably good for me in the long run.
:rolleyes:

screenman

Legendary Member
I would relist what you think you have sold, also let ebay know. It is nice being nice but others may not be the same.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have bought 2 Moto Guzzi motorbikes in the UK and I live in Denmmark. I cannot see what the buyers problem is. Collecting the item should have been in the buyers plans to start with.

This could be buyers cold feet. Pressure them.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
As Drago says - some pressure might work if the buyer has cold feet. I would also let e-bay know but that's up to you, I'm not sure if/how they follow it up and there are plenty of excuses buyer can use to avoid paying. Worst case scenario his/her account will be suspended. It's a poor show, but then e-bay is only as good as the honesty of it's users.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
For every genuine e bay seller and buyer there must be 100's or 1000's pain in the ar@e one's
In my experience, which believe me is extensive, the truth is exactly the other way round. I've done literally thousands of deals, selling and buying, and the number that have gone sour I can count on the fingers of one hand. Overwhelmingly, people are decent, and honest.

PS Having said which, the OP's situation sounds well dodgy to me. As others have said, the terms were clearly stated in the listing. If the buyer couldn't meet them he shouldn't have bid. I would suggest getting back and saying you bought under the terms you pick it up or I cancel the sale. You can then offer it to the second highest bidder presuming it was a reasonable amount. Certainly keep eBay fully informed right from the start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
the stupid one

the stupid one

Über Member
Thanks for your replies, all.

I'm not particularly troubled yet by the lack of payment - it's been less than 48 hours - but I will be asking for it later. And yes, they should have paid more attention to the listing and made some plans, the dopes. I'm not getting stressed about it, and if it does end horribly I'll go through the appropriate eBay channels.

But I am about to go see what's turned up on Gumtree over the last day and wind myself up some more! Because I'm a dope too.

Top Bottom