Ebay - the final straw.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
[QUOTE 2797011, member: 259"]I'm still happy to use eBay as a buyer, I wouldn't want to be using it as a seller.[/quote]

Ive been like that ever since i got fleeced a few years ago.

mustang1

Guru
I have a few things to sell. I haven't sold anything there for some time as I wait off with their stance of protecting the buyer at the expense of the seller.

Scotia thanks for pointing out Gumtree, I had forgotten about them.

Smokey I had o no idea eBay owns GT. Thanks.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I listed my motorbike on ebay a few about a month ago. It didnt sell but had a £10 listing fee. I wasnt really bothered and payed it when the monthly statement came through. However, it is now asking me for the payment again even though Paypal say that it went out of my account and into ebay's during an automatic payment. Ebay can jump off a cliff if they think I will pay it again. The bike didnt even sell!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Amazon have been charging an 18% fee to sellers on postage costs for several years; eBay are simply following suit.

I sell books via Amazon and get £2.54 to post them, no matter what the cost. As they're often heavy it can cost up to £8 to post yet I get the same fee. Some people sell the same book for 1p, from which Amazon take 87p selling fee, so unless they're posting from work (and not paying) it's not worth it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My stance on tax is they pay whatever tax is required of them other wise they would be prosecuted by now.
Ok, here's how it works: Company A does £100 million worth of business in the UK, on which they would make £50 million worth of profits if they bought their widgets on the open market, at a regular price of £1. Except they don't. They buy their widgets for £5, from Company B, which means they end up making only £1million profit, which is what they pay tax on.

Company B, of course, is making shedloads of profits, selling all these massively overpriced widgets, but Company B has taken the precaution of locating itself in (to all intents and purposes zero tax) Lichtenstein. Company B is, of course, a wholly owned subsidiary of Company A.

All totally legal. £100 million of UK taxpayers' money going, tax-free, into the coffers of a foreign company which effectively pays no tax here. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
How does Ebay get away with it? Do they hold patents on the online auction process? Or are they like Google, in that they are now so large and dominant it makes it difficult for small upstart online auctions?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
They are now so large and dominant it makes it all but impossible for small upstart online auctions.

D

Deleted member 26715

How does Ebay get away with it? Do they hold patents on the online auction process? Or are they like Google, in that they are now so large and dominant it makes it difficult for small upstart online auctions?
Ebay is not an auction site, it cannot be an auction site in the UK due to our binding laws on auctions, it is a marketplace.

Alan...

asterix

Comrade Member
Ok, here's how it works: Company A does £100 million worth of business in the UK, on which they would make £50 million worth of profits if they bought their widgets on the open market, at a regular price of £1. Except they don't. They buy their widgets for £5, from Company B, which means they end up making only £1million profit, which is what they pay tax on.

Company B, of course, is making shedloads of profits, selling all these massively overpriced widgets, but Company B has taken the precaution of locating itself in (to all intents and purposes zero tax) Lichtenstein. Company B is, of course, a wholly owned subsidiary of Company A.

All totally legal. £100 million of UK taxpayers' money going, tax-free, into the coffers of a foreign company which effectively pays no tax here. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Good explanation. It was revealed on BBC Breakfast Time the energy companies are able to fiddle the books juggle their accounts in much the same way. Not that I am saying they would of course*..:whistle:

*this being Cafe and all that.

asterix

Comrade Member
Ebay is not an auction site, it cannot be an auction site in the UK due to our binding laws on auctions, it is a marketplace.

Alan...

The difference being?

I am amused by the plight of an acquaintance. They sold stuff on ebay but rather than set a reserve they had a friend or two bid up their stuff without the intention of winning it. Unfortunately ebay buyers were too canny to get sucked in and so the seller didn't get a real sale. Then he just declined to pay commission by default. Ebay have blocked his account. They also blocked his father's account as his son had used his address although not actually living there. Father is not happy.

Top Bottom