eBike - a good long term investment?

Think I should go for it? (post too please)

• Yes, do it!

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • No, think about it this way (no)!

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
Hello, I'm new to the forum. Tried getting good discussions on BikeForums, but they're way out of line with the reality of cycling in the UK.. anyway..

Is buying a good eBike a good long term investment?
This is based on a number of concerns about them;-

- Will the battery last beyond a year and still be useful?
- Do they need serviced like a car? If so, where and how much do you tend to go and pay for this?

Will it be a good investment as an alternative to buying a car?
I'm 20, and my insurance is already £1600 a year. I was given a good car, which I enjoy and all, but it won't last forever. And it'll always cost a lot to run compared with a bike. If it's not insurance it's repairs. If it's not repairs it's petrol. Right now, it's all three.

I'm probably going to save a few thousand (5 or so) throughout uni to go on a new car in two or three years if something should go wrong with mine. Would it be worth spending 2-2.5k on a killer eBike to try and slowly phase out the car? Maybe even to the point I only use it for road trips etc? I am a student, I don't have my own family. Just a girlfriend who also likes cycling and has all the same questions about eBikes and possibly parting big money for one if its worth it.

I feel if I got an eBike I'd be less inclined to take the car and more enthusiastic to get on the bike! At the minute, I can just about do my 9 mile journey, but often get so tired on the way in I either can't cycle no more or go straight back out in fear of running out of energy.. I'm also in bad shape with sweat. My first cross-wind experience during this almost put me off completely - I haven't done it since in fact.. an eBike would surely solve this problem?

My essential commutes:
Home to the City: 7 miles
Home to friends house: 9 miles
Home to university: 6.5 miles

Obstacles:
- Wind
- Carring books / laptops etc
- Weather - rain, etc N. Ireland is the same as the UK climate in general
- Serious investment in a bike when I have a car to also spend a sh*t load of cash on - at short notice when it may break.

If you're still paying attention, thanks and please let me know what you think and give me your own experiences!

screenman

Legendary Member
You are 20 years old and find 9 miles hard work, unless there is a medical reason I suggest you do more of then until they become easier.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
An ebike is legally limited to 15 mph , after that it just becomes a heavy bike , other than helping on hills and for people who have a medical condition i cant personally see the benefit over a normal bike as it will be subject to the same conditions .
If your going to use you bike it would be wiser to invest in a non powered bike and get used to riding it along with buying appropriate clothing and gear for all seasons which you can build up over time .
Like many on here i commute all year around to and from work which is 10 miles each way with a manual job in between so it is doable.

What bike do you currently have @cycle_bug ?
As well as your fitness there could be some advice on what you ride or a more appropriate bike.

KneesUp

Guru
I don't know much about ebikes, but in general I'd suggest that batteries will wear out eventually - the Lithium Ion ones have a lifecycle measured in charges - I think my laptop battery is good for 300 charge/discharge cycles, for example. How long it lasts will depend on how much you use it.

That said, as @screenman says, 9 miles is not very far, especially when you are 20. My apologies if there is a medical reason why this might be a problem for you. It might be hard at first, but you will soon get used to it - much sooner than if you try when you are 40. Ask me how I know.

If you really want to go down the electronic assistance route I'd suggest fitting an electric wheel to your current bike. There are various ebay options, or the Copenhagen Wheel (should it ever make it to market) This means that you have a normal bike as well, if you want it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
You are 20 years old and find 9 miles hard work, unless there is a medical reason I suggest you do more of then until they become easier.

Really? Well I do see your point. Completely. But how much discipline will this take, having to change my life 'too much' to make the bike compete with the car, maybe I'd end up flaking out and going back to being one of those car only people. An eBike might encourage this more effectively? Not to answer my question or have made my mind up yet, but thanks for your reply.

An ebike is legally limited to 15 mph , after that it just becomes a heavy bike , other than helping on hills and for people who have a medical condition i cant personally see the benefit over a normal bike as it will be subject to the same conditions .
If your going to use you bike it would be wiser to invest in a non powered bike and get used to riding it along with buying appropriate clothing and gear for all seasons which you can build up over time .
Like many on here i commute all year around to and from work which is 10 miles each way with a manual job in between so it is doable.

What bike do you currently have @cycle_bug ?
As well as your fitness there could be some advice on what you ride or a more appropriate bike.

15mph for the assist, but I'm confident I could get 20 or more with pedalling myself? I have a £250 Raleigh Edale from Halfords. Only bought a month and a half ago, it's heavy but not break-back heavy. I don't think I could seriously invest in a non-eBike bike as IMO it doesn't merit the same 'function per £' that an eBike might. I know it's do-able, but wind and hills tend to really knock me off my motivation you know :-/

I don't know much about ebikes, but in general I'd suggest that batteries will wear out eventually - the Lithium Iron ones have a lifecycle measured in charges - I think my laptop battery is good for 300 charge/discharge cycles, for example. How long it lasts will depend on how much you use it.

That said, as @screenman says, 9 miles is not very far, especially when you are 20. My apologies if there is a medical reason why this might be a problem for you. It might be hard at first, but you will soon get used to it - much sooner than if you try when you are 40. Ask me how I know.

If you really want to go down the electronic assistance route I'd suggest fitting an electric wheel to your current bike. There are various ebay options, or the Copenhagen Wheel (should it ever make it to market) This means that you have a normal bike as well, if you want it.

I can't find any decent or simple electric kits for existing bikes, only 'pulling motors' which pull and don't have the same type of torque sensing assist built into the cranks as some of those purpose built eBikes.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Only you can know your motivation. If you don't ride your current bike because of the wind, rain and hills are you going to change and ride it once you have an electric assist? All of those will still be there but made a little easier.

I've had a go on one recently and it was brilliant at going up hills which I hate but I'm not quite ready to get one yet in case I'm lazy and started taking it too easy, and cycling is my main form of exercise. However I'd love to have one that I could bring out on those days when I'm feeling tired or under the weather.

If it will make you use a bike more regularly then it could be worth it?

screenman

Legendary Member
Why bother asking when you have all your answers.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Not too far from my work there lives a young lady that I see regularly on an e bike, I have never seen her turn a pedal, not once. Every time I see her she is zipping along the pavement sometimes she has a passenger. She basically uses it as a pavement motorbike, maybe she doesn't have or want a licence, maybe she's a nervous road user, either way it's a bit naughty really.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would hold out with what you have for a couple of months more whilst you do your research, but crucially ride your existing bike more. Honestly, you will look back and wonder why you ever found 9 miles difficult.

If you really want to pursue the ebike route, the find a proper retailer who will let you demo a few. They come in all shapes and sizes as well as the crucial battery decisions.

But seriously, persist a little longer with a normal bike and you may have no need to even think electric for another 50 years.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
With regards speed on winter days i use a rigid MTB , from halfords called a carrera subway , with road tyres as i never use it other than on the road and gravel paths so i do not need knobbly tyres and on the flat i can wind it up to 20 mph and i more than double your age .

It seems your are determined to justify and e bike , fair enough if you want one then buy one and enjoy it as long as you are aware of its limitations.I might get slated but it sounds to me you are really after a cheap form of transport as an alternative to a car and are not really interested in cycling .Maybe you could look at a moped ?.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
it sounds to me you are really after a cheap form of transport as an alternative to a car and are not really interested in cycling
This is right and;
That's what I thought. This isn't about cycling. Just get a scooter and be done with it.
This is right.
Hence my example above. I get the impression that this is someone that wants motorised transport with out the additional costs that entails, sees cycling as the cheap alternative but can't be arsed to pedal.

Top Bottom