Ebike or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

179club

Regular
Hi All.
So sorry for such a long time not posting. Now I have my Orbea Gain D-20 E-BIKE for about five months now. 1860 miles later here are my findings.
I asked did I do the right thing by getting an e Road bike. The answer to that is NO a big NO. I have constantly ridden my routes all 20 miles plus which all have long inclines and some steep hills with no e-mode on. I have found I wanted to cycle with no e-mode turned on as I was getting on fine without e-mode. I passed plenty of fellow cyclists male and female on my own power, even up hill and inclines. Good Road bikes are 7.4 kg to under 10 kg. My Orbea it 14.8 kg as I have Schwalbe anti puncture tyres. I did for the sake of it use the 3 different modes at different times to try out. I was a little quicker uphill but still out of breath but down a cog or two but no real gain. I have only charged battery three times as it does go down even without using e-mode. The bike cost me 3500EURO. Now I am going to sell it and get a good light road bike.

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless youre really decrepit I don't think you're likely to see a gain.

If going quicker was all important we's all buy motorbikes. In your shoes Id be asking myself, "did I enjoy riding it?" Mine doesn't get me about any quicker, and in most scenarios is slower than I can manage on my road bikes, but I do enjoy riding it.

I posted somewhere else about my father in law taking up ebikes a few years ago. I think if you are older and new to exercise or as drago said decrepit then they are probably really good. They have encouraged a lot more people into cycling. Father In Laws mate has one because he wants to keep cycling with his son around Whinlatter and Grizedale but after a heart by-pass he is scared to over exert himself. The ebike gives him some confidence he says and help when he needs it.
Many reasons they are good but sounds like you don’t need one really

Stul

Veteran
..if I was 20 years younger I would not bother with an E-bike either, but being the wrong side of 60 and not having really cycled for the last 5+ years it's a bit of a no brainer and I have no regrets after 10 months of e-bike ownership....in fact I am telling all my mates to get one!!

richtea

Interesting! What I don't understand is what you were hoping to gain (ha!) from the bike in the first place. What drove you to purchase it?
You seem to be able to tackle your routes OK.

Disclaimer: I have an Orbea Gain too, and it's spot on - for me.

Drago

Legendary Member
A lot of people bought them thinking they would be turned into a hybrid of Lance Armstrong and Roger Ramjet, and seem disappointed when moferately fit riders on moderately decent road bikes still spank them out on the road.

CXRAndy

Guru
Ebikes are a hoon to use. I borrow my wife's home made shopper ebike and whizz upto the local shops without breaking sweat. laying waste to all on the gradual climb.

For my wife it allows her to get out, join me on my normal bike and spend a few hours enjoying the ride in comfort. She was never able to do that on a normal bike.

She has used it to ride trails for over 25 miles, which were beyond her fitness levels with lots of 10% inclines. She destroys me on the climbs and if wanted, get miles ahead before I'd catch up riding towards 20 mph

Top Bottom