eBike survey for Engineering degree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clarkyd25

Hello all,
If possible would anyone be happy to take a quick survey for market research as part of my engineering degree. The survey should only take around a minute to conduct. My current module is in engineerig design and I am required to design an eBike frame with suspension.

The survey has been produced through SurveyMonkey.co.uk and requires no personal data. Please see below the link to the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/P97MNKV

Many thanks and kindest regards

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not answering: no ethical statement, no introduction to survey, single option questions without introduction to the information. I'm also not sure what impact most of the questions have on the actual design ...

I'm afraid if you'd have been one of my students you'd have had the data research sent back to correct immediately prior to research collection.

classic33

Leg End Member
Third attempt, with the same result as soon as any question is answered.
Screenshot_2023-02-21-22-23-04.png

classic33

Leg End Member
Not answering: no ethical statement, no introduction to survey, single option questions without introduction to the information. I'm also not sure what impact most of the questions have on the actual design ...

I'm afraid if you'd have been one of my students you'd have had the data research sent back to correct immediately prior to research collection.
You've put similar replies on other survey threads, good and bad.
Would you be willing to expand on the above and say what you'd expect on such a form?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You've put similar replies on other survey threads, good and bad.
Would you be willing to expand on the above and say what you'd expect on such a form?

Happy to. What we would expect to see as a minimum before any data collection instrument can commence:

- The purpose stated; i.e. what is the survey for and how will the data be used
- An ethics statement: internally no student should be able to collect data without an ethics statement - that's a requirement of all universities - and all research data collection should include this.
- A statement on the research data collection form, not a website elsewhere, about how the data will be used.
- An introduction to the questions, particularly complex ones.
- A lack of simple 'tick box' questions where there could be multiple answer options. Providing multiple options offers the opportunity for a wider range of data analysis and comparison.
- No superfluous and/or irrelevant questions; there should be a clear flow and purpose behind it.

And that's just the start. There are a series of codes of conduct for ethical research and the survey above hasn't considered any aspect of these. Hence my immediate rejection.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Have completed but it's really not very good. If I were to guess your research question based on the survey, I would say "what types of e-bikes do you like". The answers will give you next to no useful data about your research question, and in the real world it wouldn't be signed off as would be unethical

OP (who joined CC.net seemingly just for the purpose of the survey) has made no post to comment on the reactions to the original posting, or any post for anything.

OP has much to learn, especially about 'unknown unknowns'

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yeah quite annoying. I thought today's youth were supposed to be tech wizards, but seemingly most don't appreciate constructive feedback or have the manners to come back and say thanks

Yeah quite annoying. I thought today's youth were supposed to be tech wizards, but seemingly most don't appreciate constructive feedback or have the manners to come back and say thanks

It's a pity it was such a poor questionnaire.
You gave feedback on it and that's fair.
@DCLane gave some excellent constructive feedback.
But to come back and slag off "today's youth" with such broad strokes? That's pretty unfair. Thank the Lord no-one sees a person on a bike jumping a red light because such attitudes would see us all condemned for it!

To be fair I am not impressed by the teaching of how to conduct a survey at Universities

You cannot just ask a few question and come to reliable conclusions

WHen I was doing a teacher training course in 2003 (ish) one of the other trainee teacher has just finished a Sports Science degree
On that he had to do a whole course and pass a test before they were allowed to conduct any surveys
On our course - and it seems many others - you are just told "do a survey" without any direction of the right and wrong ways to do it and the right and wrong ways to get valid answers
On out course our tutor cancelled a whole lesson and handed it over to this student so he could give us a brief run through of the best ways to do a simple survey. He got a few ideas from his old tutors who were rather exasperated with the Education department for
a) making this necessary
b) allowing it only for a small group of 8 of us (future IT teachers only) ratehr than all the trainees!

Later on I met my 'now wife' and she can rant for England about bad surveys. She did surveys and questioners as part of her job and spent a LOT of time correcting attempt by Doctors which would have either achieved nothing or just plain come up with wrong answers
She can go totally crazy about surveys that fail to give "Not Applicable" when it is required

Surveys are far more complicated than they seem if they are to come up with proper results
marketing people are expert at doing surveys that come up witrh the 'right' answer!

Top Bottom