Ebike vs Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KatherineTate

Is it worth it to have both? Or is it best to invest in one that covers the perks of both? Thoughts and ideal models??

Thanks!

CXRAndy

Guru
If budget and storage space is an issue then just choose one.

But there are benefits to having one of each, well to start with :biggrin:

Ebike, allows rides where you can set effort regardless of wind and hills. You could travel a bit faster for less effort. Or if just tired have the knowledge that the motor will help.

Having a non ebike, good as backup, for feeling free of distance restrictions (subject to fitness). Nimble handling. If you go out know that weather and hills can make a ride tough.

Im getting my own ebike having seen and experienced the benefits of what it has neen able to do for my wife who is a extremely casual cycle rider.

Edit. What are your current biking capabilities, experience?

Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member

Phil B

Depends on how much you want to spend.

I have a Orbea gain hybrid that I use 90% of the time as a bike but know I have that extra help when I need it especially handy when windy or just want a little help. If you go down that road look for something that has a 50/34 cassette rather than the single cassette

You can always take the ebike out without the battery - but then you still have a bike with a heavy motor - and some motors add some resistance - but if you want the 'normal' bike for fitness then this is an option

Personally I love my ebike because it allows be to go further than I would otherwise without worrying
but if I had the storage space I would get a cheap hybrid as well and you it for shorter rides to try to build up my fitness (a bit - I'm lazy)

but the ebike has a variety of assist levels and I normally use the bottom 2 only - so I often get home after 20 miles and I can feel that my legs have some some work - as have my lungs

si_c

Guru
My Dad has both - a regular bike and an eMTB, he finds utility in both.

Whether it's worth it for you really depends on your use case, for me as a commuter/utility/leisure rider having an ebike isn't worth it for me, I have two road bikes instead, so I'm able to keep riding if I need to service one or the other.

For most people on a commuting/utility use case, an ebike is probably the best option - assuming you have no issues with keeping it charged. Easier to get around, hills are less issue and so on. For fitness riders an ebike can also be a good option but would ultimately I think be a bit limiting.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
As a casual rider 30-40 mile rides I have my electric trek domane + & brought a hybrid bike as back up but switching from electric to pedal was hard work in the wind & boy did I miss the electric on the hills😁.
Any way turned out the hybrid broke & I got a refund so I had a think about it & brought an electric hybrid as well..
I love both bikes, hope you find what your looking for.

richtea

I have a Orbea gain hybrid that I use 90% of the time as a bike but know I have that extra help when I need it especially handy when windy or just want a little help.
Ditto.

Or consider a Fazua (example) where you can remove about 2/3rds of the extra weight by pulling out the battery + motor, and replacing it with with an empty tube. About £70 for the tube. The best of both worlds. (actually, I bet you just use it as an eBike, but it's nice to have the choice!)

Just the two bikes ? I'm not even counting how many I have.

What have you got now ? What do you do on the bike ? What do you want to do ?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have only ridden an ebike for litterally 5 minutes so not long enough to be able to comment on its advantages but I guess that having one of each sounds like the best solution. That's probably what I will do when the time comes.
I wonder how often @Drago uses his normal bike now as he seems to be very keen on the ebike.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have both. Unless youre unfit a regular bike is faster in most situations.
Yes , I saw a test on Youtube when both bikes were ridden on a 16 kms course and I was surprised to see that the normal bike was faster than the ebike, due to the extra weight when the motor cuts out at 15.5mph.

Drago

Legendary Member
Even in my 50's my road bike average speed is invariably highter than the 15.5mph ebike cut out, so really had to learn to slow down to be able to use one properly. I still try and pay a game where I set the motor to standard assist, and then try not to dip below 15.5 and have the motor engage - kind of defeats the object, but its a good workout.

Top Bottom