Ecoballs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Uncle Mort said:
In any case, the conclusion was that people use far more detergent than they need to, and they are encouraged to do so by the manufacturers - think "rinse and repeat" :biggrin:
I was once given a guided tour of a hospital laundry (wow! ;)) and the guy said that if you can see suds/bubbles at all, then you have too much detergent... either he spoke sense, or that explains why hospitals are bug-ridden fester-pots of grime! :biggrin:

NickM

Veteran
Uncle Mort said:
...In any case, the conclusion was that people use far more detergent than they need to, and they are encouraged to do so by the manufacturers - think "rinse and repeat" :sad:

And think all those toothpaste adverts which depict the almost sensual extrusion of a one inch long worm of the stuff onto an eager toothbrush - when you actually need a little squidge the size of a small pea :biggrin:

Maz

Guru
beanzontoast said:
The ones we use are a lot bigger than golf balls. And they make a lot of noise banging about in the dryer!
Ditto - I've stopped using them because of the noise pollution!
What a racket.

Danny

Legendary Member
I am sure Which magazine reviewed the balls a few years ago and concluded they were not much better than warm water.

Most people wash their clothes when they are hardly dirty or just need a bit of a "freshen up" so the balls - or plain water - will do the trick.

However to get out dirt or stains you're going to need a detergent. Ecover powder or liquid work for most things and are pretty ecologically sound.

NickM

Veteran
beanzontoast said:
The ones we use are a lot bigger than golf balls. And they make a lot of noise banging about in the dryer!

We've got separate spiky tennis-ball sized ones for the dryer which are supposed to stop "pilling" and keep fabrics smooth and comfortable. They seem to work. But our dryer is in a different box.

Who would have thought that a laundry technology thread would attract this many posts? :blush:

jonesy

Guru
User482 said:
I've used them for a few years now. They're ok, but you have to leave a bit more space in the drum so they can move about. Plus I find the clothes are more creased than using detergent and conditioner. I don't believe any of their marketing blurb about how they work either - I think it's just the rubbing action that gets the clothes clean.
...r.

Quite...

They produce ionised oxygen that activates the water molecules naturally.

and...

Ecoballs™ unleash ionic cleaning power to penetrate deep into clothing fibres to lift away dirt without fading bright colours.

Balls indeed! Anyone heard of oxygen ions disolved in water? And I'm curious to know who might be using non-ionic detergents in their washing machines...?

Top Bottom