"Eddington Number"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I've just found out about Eddington numbers from a LiveJournal friend and I'm currently 44, pretty close to the 48 mark. It's been nearly three years since the last Eddington post. How has your E improved since?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I am :thumbsup: I just looked at my stats since Jan 07 and I've done rides of 81miles or greater 81 times so I guess that's my number.
Three years ago (25th Nov 08) it was 57 (I'd travelled 57 miles 58 times).

Chapeau number one for keeping your stats over 4 years in such good order!
Chapeau number two for being able to work your number out!
Biggest chapeau though has to go for doing over 81 miles 81 times!

I now feel all inadequate :sad:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I am :thumbsup: I just looked at my stats since Jan 07 and I've done rides of 81miles or greater 81 times so I guess that's my number.
Three years ago (25th Nov 08) it was 57 (I'd travelled 57 miles 58 times).

But have you done 1 x 1 mile followed by 2 x 2 miles or more then 3 x 3 miles or more rides then 4 x 4 miles or more rides and so on....

The minimum number of rides to get to 81 is 3,321 (81+80+79+78+.........3+2+1)
which assumes that the rides always increase in distance at each increment of the Eddington number.

57 miles times 58 miles does not count unless you've done 56 miles 56 times prior to that and fifty five miles fifty five times before that and remembering that rides can not be double counted. so you are looking at 1813 rides to get to an Eddington number of 57

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
But have you done 1 x 1 mile followed by 2 x 2 miles or more then 3 x 3 miles or more rides then 4 x 4 miles or more rides and so on....

The minimum number of rides to get to 81 is 3,321 (81+80+79+78+.........3+2+1)
which assumes that the rides always increase in distance at each increment of the Eddington number.

57 miles times 58 miles does not count unless you've done 56 miles 56 times prior to that and fifty five miles fifty five times before that and remembering that rides can not be double counted. so you are looking at 1813 rides to get to an Eddington number of 57
I'm not sure that is right

If you do 67 rides of more than 67 miles then your number is 67..there is no need to go through numbers 1 - 66 first - but I may be wrong :smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm not sure that is right

If you do 67 rides of more than 67 miles then your number is 67..there is no need to go through numbers 1 - 66 first - but I may be wrong :smile:

You're right - unless Vernon can tell us away of cycling 67 miles without also cycling 66 miles.

fimm

Veteran
I am also impressed by HLab's 81 (and I also disagree with Vernon).
My Edington number must be 16, as my long commute is 16 miles and I've done that more than 16 times. I have cycled further than that a few times, but I doubt enough to move the number up.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I disagree with me too on re-reading the guff on Eddington numbers
thumbsup.png

I put it down to lack of sleep and pies.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Keep in mind that if you've cycled six miles five times, that makes your E 5. You don't have to do five miles on five occasions to hit it.

Looking at your stats you are at least a 10 as you have cycled at least 10 miles on 10 or more occasions.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've kept a record since 2009 and my E number is a modest 32 - nothing like 81! I've got it in my signature and if I get out tomorrow I should hit 33.

Top Bottom