Eddy Merckx Arrival

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Trawling through on line catalogues i think it's a Strada with Colombus Gara tubing

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Strada OS (oversize) was in Columbus Brain. SLX is common for for forks and is what I got for mine. I couldn't find a fork with a long enough steerer for my 156mm head tube but, amazingly, some Greek chap on eBay had new SLX steerers, so Argos are going to swap that in.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The Strada OS (oversize) was in Columbus Brain. SLX is common for for forks and is what I got for mine. I couldn't find a fork with a long enough steerer for my 156mm head tube but, amazingly, some Greek chap on eBay had new SLX steerers, so Argos are going to swap that in.

It's deffo not an OS
I have a few spare sets of forks that should fit if not i should be able to find a set or push come to shove get a set made ^_^ but it's got to earn a place in the garage first

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, OS was only a mid-90s offering.

It's worth getting an actual EM fork because the crown is engraved with the logo. Does your bike have EM dropouts too? Normally the fork crown, BB shell, brake bridge and dropouts have EM or Eddy Merckx engraved on them.

EM kept using horizontal dropouts even when they were fitting STI cable guides! I think they had a big inventory of them to use up.

Mine had the same bar tape! It's at Argos now for respray into Telekom colours. Shimano 600 in the photo but it will be mostly DA 7700.

Attachments

• 20200813_115751.jpg
    20200813_115751.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Been in the garage sorting out some bits on this one and i just happen to drop a set of verniers on the down tube and to my disbelief it's over sized compared to the other tubes no sign of chrome on the drive side rear stay :sad: .

Rear drop outs are Merckx unit .

@rogerzilla i would be interested to know what size seat post yours has i am presuming 27.2 ? Along with the pinch bolt length as somebody has put a 26.8 post in and tightened it up with a not and bolt :sad:.

Frame size measuring it in Italian style ie from top of bottom bracket shell to top of seat tube outlet is 56

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, 27.2mm. Top and down tubes are usually oversized in an oversize tubeset. Less point in oversizing the seat tube, which (used to) give headaches finding a seatpost as well.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Right only the down tube is oversize is 31 ish mm as top and seat are 29 ish mm so really confused now .

And in comparison to the Rourke I have all the tubes are larger diameter on Eddy

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Does the catalogue for that year have a model with oversize down tube? On large frames some builders just oversize the top tube for a bit of extra stiffness, but not usually just the down tube. And that's a medium sized frame by 80s standards.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had a short ride yesterday am and it felt good not quite as lively as the Rourke but not far behind.
Started de cluttering this morning so removed the old cateye and associated wires and bits of tape holding them on .
Also replaced the front mechanism cable just the rest to do now along with some brake pads .

Top Bottom