Edge 305 vs Cateye V2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Once more unto the Cycle Computer breech, dear friends.

Thinking ahead; as it’s nearly Christmas*, I’ll need to decide what I want for Christmas, lest I get grief from various elderly relatives who all think I’m still 14. (Not meant to sound ungrateful but it does I guess :rolleyes:). In fact, they’ll all give me a few quid and let me go shopping in the sales. So, a new cycle computer would be just the thing.

The main things I want to be able to measure are current speed and cadence, lap times and time elapsed. On my journeys to / from work, I have certain points where I take a split (or lap) time, and compare the time on each section and for the overall journey, day by day to make sure my average times are coming down. **

A nice big screen with the ability to show the information I’m most interested in is a must, but I also want to be able to review my history and load it onto my computer to keep tabs on how I’m doing. So lots of data and a history / review thing is also good. Wireless is also handy.

This has led me to a shortlist consisting of the Edge 305 and the Cateye V2. I love the whole Edge 305 thing: route planning (OK, only breadcrumb trails), courses (isn’t my journey to work just crying out to be a course?), the “race against yourself yesterday” thing and all that. But, the V2 can be got for just over 70 quid on Cycle Express and I’ve yet to see the 305 for much less than £150; well, at least anywhere that’s actually got some in stock. And my relatives aren’t that generous.

Of course, the Edge has a nice USB port for PC-connectiveness whereas with the Cateye it’s a manual review on the V2 itself, followed by manual data entry. But that’s not a huge hassle as we’re not talking loads of data. I’m not fussed about heart rate, so there’s no distinction there.

I must admit that my heart is wanting the Edge, but it’s a big old price difference. So what I’m looking for is everyone to tell me that I really really do need the Edge because it’s so much better. Or to tell me to stick with the less expensive one. Or to totally confuse me by suggesting others.

One feature of the Edge that sounds interesting is this “Auto Lap” thing, where it starts a new lap at a pre-defined place. I’m assuming that if I have my route to work as a course, and my route home as a different course (they’re not the same route) I can have lap points defined it will start new laps for me as I go; is that correct?

Anyway, I’d welcome opinions, comments, suggestions and all that; and especially experiences from anyone that’s got either of them.

Cheers
Lazy-Commuter

* © a supermarket near you …
** I know, I know, but think about the “Lazy” bit in my username: I have to motivate myself somehow.

yello

I'm an Edge convert. The 305 changed my rides. I can either plot a route if, for instance, I know I want to do a big ride, or just go wherever knowing the 305 will give me a sense of where I am and, if worse comes to worst, guide me back along the way I've come. It's kind of liberating (though I do accept some people ride like that anyway without GPS!)

BUT it is more expensive than a simple computer. IF a simple computer is all you need then the Edge is expensive. And if you're only ever going to commute then it's close to pointless getting the 305.

Tbh though, my attitude would be if you can afford it and plan to do longer, more rambling rides then get the Edge... you'll not regret it.

domtyler

Über Member
I have the Edge 305, you can't really compare this to a standard bike computer as it is on a whole new level. If there is any way you can afford one then get it I have never heard anyone say that they regretted buying an Edge!!

OP
OP
L

Lazy-Commuter

Cheers everyone.

We DO go out for rides on a weekend as a family, but with Little Lazy Commuter being 7yo and Littlest Lazy Commuter being only 5yo, these rides tend to be known routes / defined tracks. The most they can do in a day is around 15 miles; well, Little-LC is the limiting factor at the moment, 'cos Littlest-LC is on a Trail-Gator behind me.

So, rambling rides is not something on the agenda at the moment, although I'd love to start doing it in future. But maybe I should look on the Edge as an investment in that respect!?

domtyler

Über Member
Lazy-Commuter said:
Cheers everyone.

We DO go out for rides on a weekend as a family, but with Little Lazy Commuter being 7yo and Littlest Lazy Commuter being only 5yo, these rides tend to be known routes / defined tracks. The most they can do in a day is around 15 miles; well, Little-LC is the limiting factor at the moment, 'cos Littlest-LC is on a Trail-Gator behind me.

So, rambling rides is not something on the agenda at the moment, although I'd love to start doing it in future. But maybe I should look on the Edge as an investment in that respect!?

He can do fifteen miles and is only seven years old? :rolleyes: That's pretty darned good going I'd say! Obviously another Bradley Wiggins in the making! :biggrin:

OP
OP
L

Lazy-Commuter

domtyler said:
He can do fifteen miles and is only seven years old? :rolleyes: That's pretty darned good going I'd say! Obviously another Bradley Wiggins in the making! :biggrin:
They're both "shes" so more like a Rebecca Romero maybe?:biggrin:

Yeah, it's not bad considering she's only been off stabilisers for about a year. It tends to be a trip to grannie's house and back, 7 or so miles each way; so we'll ride one way, stop there for a couple of hours and scoff loads of cake and biscuits, then ride back. So it's not like we drag her out and make her do 15 miles in 45 minutes or anything .. our average tends to be only 6-7mph or so.

Cycling is relatively new to us as a family, but we've always made encouraged the pair of them to walk, gradually increasing the distance as they've got older so they've both got nice sturdy little legs now.

OP
OP
L

Lazy-Commuter

Question to Edge Owners

As part of my quest, I've downloaded pdf copies of the manuals of both computers. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing?

I have a small question about "Auto Lap". The manual says that you can set the thing so it records a lap when you press the "lap" button and each time you pass that point again. Is that just for that ride (ie. until you press "Start / Stop" again) or will it also record a lap at that point tomorrow, next Tuesday, whenever?

How does that fit with courses? I'd love to be able to ride my route to work, hit lap at a few key points on the way, save it as a course and then each day after I've done the ride have a look at how I've done on each of my "stages".

The slight complication there is that my route home is slightly different, but with some sections in common with the way in. As a result, some of the key points are different. I know I can have lots of courses, but does it recognise that "this set of lap points" go with Course 1, and "this other set of lap points" are Course 2? Or is that where Waypoints come in?

The manuals not real clear on this .. it's the kind of thing I'd trial and error if I'd bought one, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone was using it like that?

Top Bottom