Edge 820 now £150. Bargain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Halfords are also doing this for £150 too
Funny enough i picked one up from them last night.

johnnyb47

Guru
T:sad:oo early for first impressions?
Last night with one thing and another i didn't get chance to put a proper ride in but i did spend some time familiarising with it.
First impressions to begin with were somewhat mixed. The touch screen that's been slated in many reviews as being unresponsive works excellent for me. It works as smooth and seamless as my phone which was a supprise after reading all the negative comments about it online.
It didn't take to charge the battery and it finds satellite connection really quickly. Another positive was how quickly at connects to the garmin connect app. My edge 25 seems to take an eternity compared to the 820. Setting it up to the WiFi Fi was a breeze. When you power it up it seems automatically connect to Wi-Fi for a short period and checks for software updates or ride updates. If there's non it appears to disconnect (presumably to save battery life) Tonight i switch the garmin on and it did a stand alone software update through it Wi-Fi.
Last night i did go for a very short ride just test it out. Normal ride to record ride data was very straight forward with no issues. The short trip back i tried the navigation function with a few false turns to try and fool it. It seemed to work reasonably well and promptly recalculated my miss turns. It was a little fiddly entering my address but i think this is because in still getting to grips with it.
Its still early day's yet as to making a full judgement on this device.
The one thing i don't like is the lack of instructions you get with the inclosed booklet. It took me ages to get to grips with setting it up to how i wanted. In fact i ended downloading a pdf manual to get to grips with it. There's a lot more info on it.
Why garmin can't provide a full user manual booklet is beyond me.
Once all set up though and fully familiarised it seems pretty straight forward to use.
Hopefully weather depending i will be able to tell you more about it after the weekend. Really looking forward to trying the loop rides. You type in the millage you want to do, and it will calculate a ride from front door and back. Hopefully this will help me discover new routes
All the best,
Johnny.
Ps apologies for any bad spelling or grammar. Enjoying a bottle of wine tonight in front of the tv and my eyes don't focus to well on the phones keyboard lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Last night with one thing and another i didn't get chance to put a proper ride in but i did spend some time familiarising with it.
First impressions to begin with were somewhat mixed. The touch screen that's been slated in many reviews as being unresponsive works excellent for me. It works as smooth and seamless as my phone which was a supprise after reading all the negative comments about it online.
It didn't take to charge the battery and it finds satellite connection really quickly. Another positive was how quickly at connects to the garmin connect app. My edge 25 seems to take an eternity compared to the 820. Setting it up to the WiFi Fi was a breeze. When you power it up it seems automatically connect to Wi-Fi for a short period and checks for software updates or ride updates. If there's non it appears to disconnect (presumably to save battery life) Tonight i switch the garmin on and it did a stand alone software update through it Wi-Fi.
Last night i did go for a very short ride just test it out. Normal ride to record ride data was very straight forward with no issues. The short trip back i tried the navigation function with a few false turns to try and fool it. It seemed to work reasonably well and promptly recalculated my miss turns. It was a little fiddly entering my address but i think this is because in still getting to grips with it.
Its still early day's yet as to making a full judgement on this device.
The one thing i don't like is the lack of instructions you get with the inclosed booklet. It took me ages to get to grips with setting it up to how i wanted. In fact i ended downloading a pdf manual to get to grips with it. There's a lot more info on it.
Why garmin can't provide a full user manual booklet is beyond me.
Once all set up though and fully familiarised it seems pretty straight forward to use.
Hopefully weather depending i will be able to tell you more about it after the weekend. Really looking forward to trying the loop rides. You type in the millage you want to do, and it will calculate a ride from front door and back. Hopefully this will help me discover new routes
All the best,
Johnny.
Ps apologies for any bad spelling or grammar. Enjoying a bottle of wine tonight in front of the tv and my eyes don't focus to well on the phones keyboard lol
Evening. Just wondered how you're finding your new 820 after having it for a while?

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi @grellboy .
I've put a few 100 miles on it so far and all is well. The touch screen that seems to get slated by alot in reviews is working perfectly for me. Battery life is good, uploading rides works much smoother and quicker than the edge 25.
The only minor gripe (and im being picky) is the screen is a little hard to see when using the maps to navigate. My eye sight isn't the best though, and if it was ok im sure this wouldn't be a problem.
All the very best buddy

Tom B

Guru
I got one from allfrauds about 3months ago, paid about £121 by compounding discounts.

I used to have a 520 (until it was stolen - yes I'm still bitter). The 820 does everything the 520 did. It also has navigation that works of a fashion I've not used it in anger, just a trial run on my commute.

I'm not enamoured by the WiFi on the 820 it seems to miss uploading some activities and I'm back to using Bluetooth.

The screen issues have been solved and it's reliable. Touch screen has some positives some negatives but day to day I don't touch it much. Only to save a ride.

The automatic brightness control isn't much good. It is set too bright and runs the battery down. It's almost too effective and is constantly ramping the brightness up as you pass under streetlights again draining the battery.

Usual garmin quirks exist including the annoying going to a random screen after a live segment.

Top Bottom