Edinburgh ice casualty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Captain Decisive do you deliberately make your route longer? Fine if so, just seems quite convoluted at the start!

Goo, so, eh, do you have much bother with prossies?!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Tetedelacourse said:
Captain Decisive do you deliberately make your route longer? Fine if so, just seems quite convoluted at the start!

Look at wee bit convoluted at the end as well, but it does avoid the road for most of the time...

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Tetedelacourse said:
Goo, so, eh, do you have much bother with prossies?!

Very delicately put ! No, had no bother with them for years since they were moved away from their old haunt in Coburg Street. They used to stand around the door to a printers' business (now demolished) opposite the old Leith Burial Ground, and I had to walk past them every time I went to and from the library.

I used to use the opposite pavement and avoid looking at them, so as to avoid having any comments directed at me. Julia "Pretty Woman" Roberts these hookers weren't...

I was once waaaay past them and opposite what was the Black Swan (now the Roseleaf) pub, when I heard someone calling "Excuse me !" from some distance behind me. I stopped, turned and saw a well-dressed woman walking towards me, so I stopped as I thought she was wanting directions. When she got closer she said, "Would you like a price list ?"

I don't think I've done a quicker about-turn and fast walk away in my life. I was utterly mortified and embarrassed. :sad:

It wasn't just me who got bother either - the ex used to get kerb-crawled a lot in her student days, as she wore a faux-leopardskin coat she found in a charity shop, which - it has to be said - did match the kind of coats the prossies wore at the time !

We also once saw a policeman leaning in a car window near Cables Wynd (the real smackhead prostitutes that lived their used to try their luck around Coalhill) giving a very contrite punter a lecture on what his wife would think if she were to find out that hubby was picking up the Aids-ridden scag-hounds down in Leith. It was hilarious to see and to hear, and he was well and truly publicly humiliated. You just don't get that quality of policing down here any more - punters these days would probably sue the police for mental cruelty if they were shamed in front of honest folks and win thousands....

Ahhhh - you've got me all nostalgic for Leith as it was back in 1990 / 1991, when the Shore still retained a few rough edges ;)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
LOL when i was younger i went to the training college down there, think it was called EDETA, anyway was round at Ocean terminal last week and the old college is gone, bloody flats all over the place !! We used to do lunch in the Black Swan ;) and have a game of football with our steel capped boots at the back of the college, the small football area is still there near Tiso`s !! I remember a few of the guys propositioning one of the prossies to come on to one of the young lads as it was his birthday just to see the look in his eyes, lets just say he did a runner lol .

Prossies; takes me back to when I lived in Dublin. Cycling by Fitzwilliam Sq late at night/ early morning, I here "dae ya wannt business" (in a Dub accent). This one looked about 18 stone in an ill fitting tight mini skirt and stockings, probably had aids or something too, surprise, surprise I just kept going.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL, that reminds me of "the Avenues" in Harare. You'd see a "lady of the night", hear the call of "Hello Baby", and a swift lift of her skirts. Arrgghh!!

Top Bottom