Edinburgh ice casualty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another Edinburgh casualty

I went down hard on Monday night just outside the B & Q on Warriston Road. There must be a water main burst there or something as there's a monster puddle the other side of the road and it had trickled across the road along one side of a speed bump then frozen there. I didn't see it coming at all.

The funny thing was that I must have shouted something similar to puck ;) as I hit the deck and I heard a voice say "You too eh". Got back to my feet and saw a motorcyclist putting himself back together about 10 meters further up the road. He'd lost it too. So we commiserated together.

Luckily I took most of the hit and my trusty stead didn't get any more than a wee scratch to the right shifter and pedal. Had a lovely goose egg on my hip by the time I got home though.

Then Tuesday morning was very slippy. I decided not to play urban assault through town and did the bikepath from Roseburn to Canonmills. I felt my rear tire go for a wee wander several times on the ride to work. It's nice and dry again now but next time it's like that I might take the MTB with some silly sticky rubber on it rather than my Orbit and see if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
CaptainDecisive said:
I went down hard on Monday night just outside the B & Q on Warriston Road. There must be a water main burst there or something as there's a monster puddle the other side of the road and it had trickled across the road along one side of a speed bump then frozen there. I didn't see it coming at all.

The funny thing was that I must have shouted something similar to puck :smile: as I hit the deck and I heard a voice say "You too eh". Got back to my feet and saw a motorcyclist putting himself back together about 10 meters further up the road. He'd lost it too. So we commiserated together.

Luckily I took most of the hit and my trusty stead didn't get any more than a wee scratch to the right shifter and pedal. Had a lovely goose egg on my hip by the time I got home though.

Then Tuesday morning was very slippy. I decided not to play urban assault through town and did the bikepath from Roseburn to Canonmills. I felt my rear tire go for a wee wander several times on the ride to work. It's nice and dry again now but next time it's like that I might take the MTB with some silly sticky rubber on it rather than my Orbit and see if that makes a difference.

Welcome Captain ! The only bit of the path near Roseburn that I lost it on was my 2nd fall of the day, as it hairpins downhill onto Russell Road. I knew it would be slippery and was inching down it at a snail's pace - but still managed to hit the deck. It was there that I snapped off the rear mudguard and light bracket :biggrin:

Hope the 'hip egg' has gone down a bit. Funnily enough, I landed on my left side 4 out of the 5 times I came off that morning, yet there's not a mark on me on that side. The one hit on the left side has left me with a hand-sized bruise on the outside of my leg, a lovely 2-inch long bruise running over my elbow and a clenched-fist sized one on the inside leg where the top tube must have impacted. They're like colourful Xmas deccies on the body !

What's your normal route when there isn't any ice ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get any 'swellings sorted asap' - and no you lot don't start...

Very icy in Manchester on Thursday - walked to the main road and avoided the leaky drain area - fortunately, today (Friday), I was off - nativity plays and pressie wrapping.... but 1.5 tonnes of my car were slipping on the side roads - deffo a public transport day if I had been in work.

Wife has warned me, any more days like today - bus it is... no xmas hospital visits....

domtyler

Über Member
tdr1nka said:
Hey Dom,

How did the rest of your day pan out?

T x

TDrinka, it went fine :smile:

Missus didn't really say much about the accident and we were back on the bike this morning. Matilda was absolutely fine, just got straight in her seat and off we went down the road with her making her funny wailing noise as always (she does it so she can hear her voice go funny when we go over a bump :smile::biggrin:)

Saw her helmet this morning though and it now looks like this:

Dscf1855.jpg

Dscf1862.jpg

:wacko::smile:

domtyler

Über Member
goo_mason said:
Oooo.... saved from a sore head, there !

Good to hear that there's been no lasting trauma from the fall for her though.

Well hopefully not although as my work colleagues pointed out today she is screwed anyway with me for a father!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
goo_mason said:
Welcome Captain ! The only bit of the path near Roseburn that I lost it on was my 2nd fall of the day, as it hairpins downhill onto Russell Road. I knew it would be slippery and was inching down it at a snail's pace - but still managed to hit the deck. It was there that I snapped off the rear mudguard and light bracket :biggrin:

You tried to cycle down the hairpins onto Russell Road when you knew it was icy??! Thats just mad...

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Hairy Jock said:
You tried to cycle down the hairpins onto Russell Road when you knew it was icy??! Thats just mad...

Did it when it was iced-over snow last year and had no problem, so I thought it would be OK this time. The path, up until that point, had been clear....

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Have to say I fear that cycling may be genetic.
My Mum, now in her 70's and getting about in a powered wheelchair(she calls it her 'electric chair', strangly no one has ever corrected her?).

She still regails me with stories about cycling in London during the late fifties, her favourite is when the strap on her bag caught round a door handle of a car while going round Hyde Park corner.
Her reaction was to stop peddling, steer parallel to the car while banging on the roof until they slowed and stopped!

T x

goo_mason said:
Welcome Captain ! The only bit of the path near Roseburn that I lost it on was my 2nd fall of the day, as it hairpins downhill onto Russell Road. I knew it would be slippery and was inching down it at a snail's pace - but still managed to hit the deck. It was there that I snapped off the rear mudguard and light bracket :evil:

Hope the 'hip egg' has gone down a bit. Funnily enough, I landed on my left side 4 out of the 5 times I came off that morning, yet there's not a mark on me on that side. The one hit on the left side has left me with a hand-sized bruise on the outside of my leg, a lovely 2-inch long bruise running over my elbow and a clenched-fist sized one on the inside leg where the top tube must have impacted. They're like colourful Xmas deccies on the body !

What's your normal route when there isn't any ice ?

I groveled my way up the Russell Road hairpin OK using my very smoothest power strokes and only spun the rear about, oh maybe 5 times :smile:. Not sure what I would have done if I couldn't get up it.

I switch up the commute by going through town in the mornings and coming home along the bike path in the evenings. This is my current evening ride http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=718373 although I'm moving to Comiston Road in a few weeks which will add a few more minutes. My ride is a black Orbit road bike.

Heal fast.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

CaptainDecisive said:
I groveled my way up the Russell Road hairpin OK using my very smoothest power strokes and only spun the rear about, oh maybe 5 times :blush:. Not sure what I would have done if I couldn't get up it.

I switch up the commute by going through town in the mornings and coming home along the bike path in the evenings. This is my current evening ride http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=718373 although I'm moving to Comiston Road in a few weeks which will add a few more minutes. My ride is a black Orbit road bike.

Heal fast.

Thanks, Captain.

My route's http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=711089

though I suspect that I may start varying it in 2008 for a bit of variety ! I ride a silver Carrera Vulcan MTB, orange backpack and - at the moment - back top & bibs and a yellow&reflective hi-viz waistcoat. Mind you, I'll be off the path now until the 8th January as I'm on holiday.

If I spot what I think is your bike on the way home then, I'll try and say hi - though in the dark it's almost impossible to see which bike's what :biggrin:

Top Bottom