Edinburgh ice casualty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
PrettyboyTim said:
As it's on my knee, I'd rather not interfere with the skin growing back.

Wimp! Haven't you heard of sealing it up with one of those modern moist repair/wet healing plasters? No pain, it heals quicker and you get less scarring. The wet stuff ends up reeking though.

spindrift

You don't want plasters, let the air grow the scab then pull it off, bonus points for attached hairs.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
See you've moved then John...... Wasn't that cold today in Manchester but we had a heavy frost and the side roads were icy so I walked to the main road. One of my neighbours commented on it being lethal as I walked past down the hill from home. Was unusually frosty on the roads but the cars were ok, just wet.

PrettyboyTim

BentMikey said:
Wimp! Haven't you heard of sealing it up with one of those modern moist repair/wet healing plasters? No pain, it heals quicker and you get less scarring. The wet stuff ends up reeking though.

Yeah, I've got one of those on. It's still leaking bloody water out of it after the shower though, and I changed it a couple of days ago.

PrettyboyTim said:
Yeah, I've got one of those on. It's still leaking bloody water out of it after the shower though, and I changed it a couple of days ago.

So go on Tim show us pictures!;)

PrettyboyTim

magnatom said:
Despite the TM infrigment I would like to point out that it's use was appropriate on this occasion.....;)

BM gets to call me a Big Jessie. I would have thought it more appropriate if you called me a 'Southern Jessie'.

Tetedelacourse

Could you time-lapse on your camera to show the scabbing up of your knees PBT and post on Youtube? That would exonnerate you from the Jessie label.

Goo - how's your bike doing? Also JTLYK it's a bit milder today, so less of a need for your Mum to heat and deliver your mitts for hometime.

PrettyboyTim said:
BM gets to call me a Big Jessie. I would have thought it more appropriate if you called me a 'Southern Jessie'.

No. I would never use 'southern' as an insult. I feel that it would be dishonourable of me to take advantage of such a terrible affliction That would be just like rubbing salt in the wound.....so to speak.;)

domtyler

Über Member
Well unfortunately I became the latest casualty this morning. About thirty seconds down the road from my house, left turn into a side road and bam, down we went!! Yep, had the baby on the back!!! :biggrin::ohmy::angry:;):tongue:B)!:smile:

Once I'd managed to get my foot out of the pedal I turned round to see how she was, I think she smiled for about half a second and then she slowly realised that that was not the right response to this particular situation and started bawling uncontrollably :biggrin: Just had to stand and hold her in my arms for about five minutes while she slowly calmed down. The people at the bus stop just watched on, barely managing to disguise their smirks! Fortunately a woman with her young lad came and helped us off the road and picked the bike up.

We went home and got cleaned up, ten minutes later she was back to normal so walked her to nursery pushing the bike, before cycling the rest of the way into work very timidly.

I don't think I will be taking her on the bike when there is any hint of ice in the future! The seat's strap also broke, the bit the you clip the strap into has snapped. Although the design of the chair did protect her and she did not have a scratch on her, just very shaken up.

A lesson learnt!

domtyler said:
Well unfortunately I became the latest casualty this morning. About thirty seconds down the road from my house, left turn into a side road and bam, down we went!! Yep, had the baby on the back!!! :biggrin::ohmy::angry:;):tongue:B)!:smile:

Once I'd managed to get ..........

:biggrin: Yikes! Glad Dom junior was ok. It sounds like the seat did it's job.

Tetedelacourse

domtyler said:
Well unfortunately I became the latest casualty this morning. About thirty seconds down the road from my house, left turn into a side road and bam, down we went!! Yep, had the baby on the back!!! :ohmy::ohmy::angry:;):tongue:B)!:smile:

Once I'd managed to get my foot out of the pedal I turned round to see how she was, I think she smiled for about half a second and then she slowly realised that that was not the right response to this particular situation and started bawling uncontrollably :ohmy: Just had to stand and hold her in my arms for about five minutes while she slowly calmed down. The people at the bus stop just watched on, barely managing to disguise their smirks! Fortunately a woman with her young lad came and helped us off the road and picked the bike up.

We went home and got cleaned up, ten minutes later she was back to normal so walked her to nursery pushing the bike, before cycling the rest of the way into work very timidly.

I don't think I will be taking her on the bike when there is any hint of ice in the future! The seat's strap also broke, the bit the you clip the strap into has snapped. Although the design of the chair did protect her and she did not have a scratch on her, just very shaken up.

A lesson learnt!

Bloody hell DT, I was smirking (due to recent post bemoaning the moaners up north moaning about weather conditions) til I read that your lass was on the back. Glad to hear she (and thee) came out of it unscathed. She probably forgot about the whole thing about 90 seconds after it happened whereas it will live long in your memory! Horrible horrible horrible feeling. Lucky there were no other vehicles involved.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Dear Dom,

Sorry to read about your spill today, glad to hear tiddler is sound and the seat did it's job!

I take my 5 y/o to school half the week on an MTB & tag-a-long tandem, I get filthy looks from people who obviously think I've a deathwish and out to kill my kid in the process.

A drop like yours this morning can really jangle the confidence, but you and your girl were shaken and not hurt. In fact she'll probably have a few drops of her own like this when she learns to ride a bike!

As I have posted elsewhere I'm sure, after 4 years of riding with Dad, my Elf has a much greater respect for the world around her and more road sense than many of her age!

Keep on keeping on and ride safe!

T x

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Glad you were both OK, Dom.

Amazing how folks will not even bother helping or seeing if you're OK. My female colleague who came off her bike on Tuesday too (clipped by a u-turning van which took off without stopping) was lying in the middle of her street with mums pushing buggies and walking kids to school on either side, and not ONE stopped to help her or see if she was OK.

Even more awful for you was that your child was involved and in distress and (almost all of the) onlookers didn't seem to care.

domtyler

Über Member
Thank you for the supportive comments gents. Am just about to phone her mum to break the news!! The last thing she said as she left the house just before us was to be very careful as she'd almost just slipped going out to the car.

Top Bottom