Edinburgh ice casualty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neslon

Ouch!!! Sounds like you were unlucky. However, bailing out on the way home was the right call. I had a couple of sphincter clenching moments on the way in at 0630, but almost wiped out twice on the way home. It seemed to get icier on unlit bits through the day.

Hope the bike makes it

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
not to bad on my journey back home tonight, could see the twinkeling tell tale signs of ice on the roads and paths, only really got noticebly colder once I came over the bridge and into Inverkeithing.

mrben

Wow - that all sounds pretty awful. Things over here on the west coast (Glasgow) weren't nearly as bad. Quite cold, but no ice on the roads that I could see.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Tynan,

Don't forget that London tarmac is also heated from underneath by the sewers and the Underground, mmmm.

If we want action like Goo's yesterday AM, we'd have to our velos to the ice rink at Somerset House!!

T x

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Ice rink about sums up the conditions that morning.

Never encountered anything like it throughout the whole of last winter - it was a freak occurrence, I reckon.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Haslington - Crewe at 6am was interesting this morning - the good thing was that the ice was mostly visible, the bad thing that it wasn't always avoidable :/

The cyclepaths going into town were very bad indeed, with any bump or ridge causing the back wheel to skitter about most alarmingly. The Manchester leg of my commute (about 7:10) was ok though, still cold, but only icy on one part (a cyclepath again) that I walked rather than riding.

PrettyboyTim

I've not started cycling in since I came off last week (still waiting for my knee to finish healing up), but I was quite glad I didn't cycle in today - it was hard enough staying upright on foot, and although some sections of road had been salted some of the sections that hadn't were still very slippy.

BentMikey said:
What, you let a little road rash stop you? You big jessie!

This is getting out of control! I am going to have to slap an Asbo on anyone using my Big Jessie trademark from now on. You have been warned...:biggrin:;):biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
oof, ice in London shocker!

came within an ace of coming off in the first 50 yards on my road

and half a dozen very nasty wobbles/slides in the first 20 minutes, not helped by the ton of pannier on one side and the skinny tyres pumped back up to 100/120 psi

a very easy warey journey in thereafter, a little slide on the ice goes a long way

and isn't it cold, oof

Top Bottom