Edinburgh ice casualty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ranger

Blimey, I didn't realise it was that bad! The give away should have been the shunt between 2 cars on the Ferry Road that and the fact I was sent out gritting paths when I get to work.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Unlucky mate! I'd be jumping for joy at an opportunity to get some Nokian studded tyres. Just imagine telling some angry cager you'd ride over his car if he didn't wind his neck in!!! LOL!!!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Not the best start to the day, you have my sympathies.
London was bitterly cold but dry this morning, learnt my lesson and have sworn to wear full gloves on the school run this afternoon.
Thanks to Global warming we get little or no ice in London anymore, the type of spills you've taken today tend to happen in warm dry weather when there is deisel on the road. Invariably if the weather is nice you're wearing less clothes and so the scrapes, bumps and bruises can be a lot worse.

If derailers or the frame lug the derailer is bolted to are not excessivly bent I find an adjustable spanner is perfect for gripping the offending part and then used to gently pull things back into position.

Good luck, stay safe and I swear by Arnica cream for all my bruises.

Tdr1nka x

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I've called in a favour from the parents and they're going to take the damaged bike home for me in their car, and drop off a jacket so I can get the bus home tonight !

No way would I risk further bruising !

gavintc

Guru
No commuting for me for the next few days. I took a few days off work this week, to catch up on my MSc dissertation which has been languishing since I moved to Edinburgh. However, I have suffering pain over the last 4 days so went to the doc this morning and my 'man flu' has been diagnosed as pleurisy so I will be avoiding the ice for the remainder of the week.

I do feel for you, 5 times is quite a worry.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

It was 'sneaky ice'; you'd think you'd got onto non-iced bits and be happily cycling along at walking speed, and then the bike would slip from under you...

Putting a foot down to stop yourself was useless as it slipped away too - hence my strained left leg as I almost did the splits at one point.

This was on paths, yes. I wanted to take to the road when things got really bad (after 2nd fall), but my rear light had been snapped off (broken at the bracket) and the way people were streaking about this morning, I didn't fancy being rear-ended by someone claiming I had no rear light (even though I have hi-viz and reflective clothing on).

(Anyone know which spare Cateye bracket and clamps fit an TL-LD1100 ? There are a few shown on the Evans site, but not sure which ones to order.)

Tetedelacourse

goo_mason said:
It was 'sneaky ice'; you'd think you'd got onto non-iced bits and be happily cycling along at walking speed, and then the bike would slip from under you...

Putting a foot down to stop yourself was useless as it slipped away too - hence my strained left leg as I almost did the splits at one point.

This was on paths, yes. I wanted to take to the road when things got really bad (after 2nd fall), but my rear light had been snapped off (broken at the bracket) and the way people were streaking about this morning, I didn't fancy being rear-ended by someone claiming I had no rear light (even though I have hi-viz and reflective clothing on).

(Anyone know which spare Cateye bracket and clamps fit an TL-LD1100 ? There are a few shown on the Evans site, but not sure which ones to order.)

Can't help with the light bracket but Goo, having your parents bring a coat to work for you to get home on the bus in is too much to deal with!

MIRTH

I will never forget this.

:smile:;):biggrin:^_^B):tongue:B)^_^

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
You'll want a nice long soak and some broth!

T x

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Tetedelacourse said:
Can't help with the light bracket but Goo, having your parents bring a coat to work for you to get home on the bus in is too much to deal with!

MIRTH

I will never forget this.

:tongue:;):smile:^_^:smile:xx(:smile:^_^

I'm glad I provided you with an afternoon of laughter that you'll never forget. B) That was incidental - they were taking damaged bike away anyway so it was a little 'extra' bringing the coat - honest ! B)

Tell you what though - hot bath to ease the aches and pains tonight. All that repeated jarring and bashing of my poor old body is coming home to roost now and I'm aching all over. Good excuse to break open some Mulled Wine too - for medicinal purposes, of course. Before that, I'd better get the bike on the stand and check it over.

(Thankfully - hoarder that I am - I still had the Cateye packaging and it shows the parts and spares numbers for the box contents. Result !)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bad luck dude - came off three times at speed some years ago on one run in.

Fortunately, despite it being cold and cars frozen in Manchester, the roads were dry (un-gritted) and my route is all major roads, except the estate where you are careful. One part had been heavily gritted due to leaky drain and an area where water runs of an embankment - shall avoid that area tomorrow morning as there were 'Ice on Road' signs up this evening.

I'll carry on until the roads are wet and it's below zero.

Plax

Guru
Ouch! I hope you have found some solace from a warm bath, a cup of tea and some bunny slippers. It was cold here in Snowdonia today, there was a frozen puddle and lots of frozen grass but thankfully nothing on the roads.
What I can say though is that when I got into work it took most of the morning for the circulation to return to my toes properly! Might have to dig out the ski socks soon................

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

New bar-ends, rear mudguard, rear derailleur, gear cable, Cateye bracket and halogen bulb ordered (found I'd broken that too). I'll need to find some black tape to patch up the shredded saddle-nose and side in the shops at the weekend.

Quite an expensive journey this morning, all in all. Hot drinks, fluffy kitten slippers and Freeze Gel all being enjoyed now. ;)

Top Bottom