Edinburgh man hits a snag on his 7th attempt to cycle around the world

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You've got to admire this man's determination; he's on his 7th attempt to cycle around the world but has had to come home to replace his damaged passport.
I hope he makes it and conquers the depression and alcohol abuse that have been affecting him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-50420768?

"Known as the Tartan Explorer, he had cycled 12,000 miles on his bike since he left the capital in April and marked 365 days of sobriety in October.
His passport had become wet with sweat after he put it in his back pocket to make it easier to take out to show officials as he crossed the border of Western Australia.
Mr Quigley said: "There was a huge smudge over my picture and there was no way I could use it."

rikki

Legendary Member
How (where) did he ride a bike into Western Australia and need his passport to enter?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
How (where) did he ride a bike into Western Australia and need his passport to enter?

Well Done to him for getting that far, but the story doesn’t make sense on a number of levels.

I think the passport issue is a bit of a red herring. Surely the embassy in Oz can issue a new passport instead of having to return to Scotland.
I suspect cycling across Canada in the middle of winter was main the issue to abort for now.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Well Done to him for getting that far, but the story doesn’t make sense on a number of levels.

I think the passport issue is a bit of a red herring. Surely the embassy in Oz can issue a new passport instead of having to return to Scotland.
I suspect cycling across Canada in the middle of winter was main the issue to abort for now.

As the article explains, it would take six weeks for a replacement passport to be issued in Australia.
His original intent wasn’t to traverse Canada either, that only arose as an option when it became apparent that the emergency passport he obtained wouldn’t grant him access to the US.

My passport goes in a pouch which is either around my neck or in my bar bag. It never goes in a pocket, esp a back one. I have extracted the passport a couple of times at borders and never felt the need for swifter presentation.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Good question.
There are bio-security checkpoints on some state borders in Australia to make sure you aren't bringing certain 'bugs', crop diseases, etc. from other states. But I doubt if a passport check would be part of that.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's the reason why my brother in Michigan never cycles on the road; he says it's only a matter of time before youi're hit by a distracted texting SUV driver or deliberately knocked off by a redneck in a pickup truck.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If anyone else has been reading @HobbesOnTour blog HERE, you will know he has had a few close calls with American drivers :sad:. UK drivers might not like us much, but it seems 10 times worse over there. Take care @HobbesOnTour , still loving your reports!
Wishing a full and speedy recovery to Josh Quigley too; and hoping he will be able to complete his ride at some point in the future - assuming he is still of a mind to do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom