Edinburgh - Princes Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D-Rider

Any Edinburgh commuters there using Princes Street at the moment?

Am thinking about trying a different route home but not sure of the current tramworks (;)) situation.

Can I cycle up through Haymarket and along Princes street? And, if so, is it just carnage with buses?

Fortunately I only have to cross it, which I do at The Mound & Hanover St. If I had to travel the length, I would use George St to avoid the tramlines. Even HJ when he was teaching people how to handle the tramlines came a cropper.

OP
OP
D-Rider

D-Rider

I usually go through the New Town and then along Queen Street but fancy a change. Had forgotten the tramlines are there now... can't be too tricky surely.... just don't try to cross at too shallow an angle?

OP
OP
D-Rider

D-Rider

Thanks for that, HJ. Think I'll see how adventurous I feel when I get to my usual turn off.

Anyone know if the road is open all the way up from Haymarket though?

fimm

Veteran
It is open from Haymarket in one direction only - from Haymarket towards Princes Street, and you have to go round Charlotte Square. Going the other way, traffic is being diverted along the Western Approach Road, which you can't cycle on as I'm sure you know. I don't commute down there, just go there sometimes on my way through town (and I also avoid Princes Street because I don't like dodging the buses).

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
ARRGGHHH!! IT'S SILENCE OF THE TRAMS!!

My biggest fear would be getting stuck in the track whilst a tram was coming. That'd certainly be a brown trouser moment, I'm sure!!

fimm

Veteran
They've now taken away the restriction, so you can cycle both ways along Shandwick Place. You still have to go round Charlotte Square if you are heading from Haymarket to Princes Street.

Mad Doug Biker said:
I am so in agreement with new tram schemes, which makes the opposition all a bit bemusing to me.

Here we must disagree, the No.22 bus already does an excellant job of transporting people between Leith & The Gyle. I am having a hard time seeing the benefits from installing a tram rail along this route at the cost and inconvenience the construction has caused.

Sambu

With the busses as good as they are, edinburgh doesn't need trams. the money would be better spent improving the roads or reducing the fares. i might feel differently if they went more places but they wont so...

OP
OP
D-Rider

D-Rider

Touche said:
Here we must disagree, the No.22 bus already does an excellant job of transporting people between Leith & The Gyle. I am having a hard time seeing the benefits from installing a tram rail along this route at the cost and inconvenience the construction has caused.

Couldn't agree more Edinburgh has been carnage with road works and no light at the end of the tunnel. And all they seem to be doing is swapping the 22 bus for a tram....

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
D-Rider said:
Couldn't agree more Edinburgh has been carnage with road works and no light at the end of the tunnel. And all they seem to be doing is swapping the 22 bus for a tram....

And narrowing Leith Walk so much that you won't be able to cycle up it any more when they get the tram lines laid.

I used to be in favour of the trams, but as the months & years have passed and it just lurches from crisis to crisis, I'm no longer much of an enthusiast. They were supposed to have been laying the tracks on Leith Walk in Jan 2009; as of May 2010, they're nowhere near starting, ffs!!

Top Bottom